Grammar Point:
“In order to” translates into Chinese as 为了 wèile. It is a preposition used to indicate the purpose of an action or the intention or goal behind an action.
Structure
为了 + aim/goal, do sth.
為了學中文,我決定去台灣为了学中文,我决定去台湾
In order to learn Chinese, I decided to go to Taiwan.
我為了減肥,開始運動我为了减肥,开始运动
I started to exercise in order to lose weight.
我為了練習英文,開始做這個網站我为了练习英文,开始做这个网站
I started this site to practice English.
Do sth. + 是 + 为了 + aim/goal
It is used to emphasize the purpose or intention behind an action. By adding 是 shì, which means “is” or “to be,” it brings a stronger emphasis on the purpose clause. This structure is often used to clarify and emphasize the specific intention or goal behind an action.
我開始運動,是為了減肥我开始运动,是为了减肥
I started exercising to lose weight.
我搬去上海是為了尋找更好的工作機會我搬去上海是为了寻找更好的工作机会
I moved to Shanghai in order to seek better job opportunities.
(It emphasizes that the main motivation for the move was to find better job prospects.)
我跟你分手是為了讓你自由我跟你分手是为了让你自由
I broke up with you in order to set you free.
你半夜打電話給我只是為了問我這件事嗎?你半夜打电话给我只是为了问我这件事吗? 🤬
Did you call me in the middle of the night just to ask me about this matter?
(It emphasizes the purpose or intention behind the action of making a late-night phone call. It questions if the sole purpose of the call was to inquire about a specific matter.)
Negation
我做這個網站不為了賺錢我做这个网站不为了挣钱
I do not do this site to make money.
我沒為了錢,就去做違法的事我没为了钱,就去做违法的事
I did not do illegal things in order to get money.
我做這些事,不為了得到你的原諒,只是想補償我做这些事,不为了得到你的原谅,只是想补偿
I do these things not to seek your forgiveness, but to make amends.
不要 + 为了 + (aim/goal), do sth.
It is used to express a cautionary or advisory tone, suggesting not to take a certain action or engage in a particular behavior for the sake of a specific aim or goal.
你不要為了減肥完全不吃飯你不要为了减肥完全不吃饭
You do not have to skip meals in order to lose weight
不要為了成功而放棄夢想不要为了成功而放弃夢想
Don’t give up on your dreams for the sake of success.
不要為了結婚去結婚不要为了结婚去结婚
Don’t get married just because you want to get married.
FYI
In both China and Taiwan, there is often societal pressure regarding the age at which individuals should marry, leading to the popularity of blind dating or matchmaking events. Unlike in Western culture, these events typically involve 20 women and 20 men. It’s crazy, right? Each participant is given a card to write down their basic information. The men then hand their cards to the women seated opposite them and have 3 minutes to introduce themselves. After 3 minutes, a bell rings, and the men move to the next chair to repeat the process with a new woman. To be honest, it can be exhausting for men to repeat their introduction 20 times, and for women, it becomes challenging to match the right information with the correct guy after hearing so many introductions. Let me share a secret with you: in the end, they often end up choosing a person based on their physical appearance.
为 wèi vs 为了 wèile
为 wèi + Sth or Sb + V or SV
1. To express the reason or motivation behind an action.
2. To emphasize someone or something that typically benefits from an action.
讓我們一起為留學生活做準備让我们一起为留学生活做准备
Let’s prepare for the study abroad life together.
媽媽為我做了很多菜妈妈为我做了很多菜
My mother cooked a lot of dishes for me.
为了 wèile + aim/goal
It is a conjunction that used to express the purpose or intention behind an action. It indicates that an action is done with a specific goal in mind.
為了媽媽的健康我開始學做菜为了妈妈的健康我开始学做菜
For the health of my mother I began to learn to cook
為了學中文,我決定去台灣为了学中文,我决定去台湾
In order to learn Chinese, I decided to go to Taiwan.
Sometimes 为了 wèile is 为 wèi + 了 le
Chinese learners often get confused with the usage of 为 wèi and 为了 wèile, particularly when 为 wèi is followed by 了1 le indicating completion of an action.
去年我的身體很不好,所以媽媽為了我,做了很多菜去年我的身体很不好,所以妈妈为了我,做了很多菜
Last year I was not healthy, so my mother cooked a lot of dishes for me.
你為了你的女朋友做了那麼多事,她都知道嗎?你为了你的女朋友做了那么多事,她都知道吗?
You’ve done so much for your girlfriend, but does she know about it?
- 为 wèi 1 (HSK 2)
- 为 wèi 2 (HSK 3)