Grammar Point:
Both 有一点 yǒuyīdiǎn and 一点 yìdiǎn convey the notion of ‘a little’ or ‘a bit,’ but with slight nuances. In China, 有点儿 yǒudiǎnr is more commonly used instead of 有一点 yǒuyìdiǎn.
Structure
有一点 yǒuyìdiǎn | + | Adjective |
一点 yìdiǎn | + | Noun |
今天天氣有一點熱今天天气有一点热
Today’s weather is a bit hot.
我弟弟有一點矮我弟弟有一点矮
My younger brother is a bit short.
我覺得那家店的珍珠奶茶有一點貴我觉得那家店的珍珠奶茶有一点贵
I think the bubble tea from that shop is a bit expensive.
你要不要喝一點酒?你要不要喝一点酒?
Would you like to have a little bit of alcohol
我早上吃了一點飯,所以現在不餓我早上吃了一点饭,所以现在不饿
I had a little breakfast in the morning, so I’m not hungry now.
我會說一點日文我会说一点日文
I can speak a little bit of Japanese.
Special Cases
Sometimes is not “有一点 yǒuyìdiǎn”; it’s actually “有 yǒu” as a verb have or has plus ” 一点 yìdiǎn”
我今天下午我今天下午有有一點時間一点时间
I have a bit of time this afternoon.
他只他只有有一點錢一点钱
He has only a bit of money.
我家還我家还有有一點洋蔥,你要嗎?一点洋葱,你要吗?
There’s still a bit of onion at home. Do you want it?
Something you need to know
有一点 yǒuyìdiǎn is typically employed neutrally to indicate a small amount or degree of something. However, native speakers often use it in a negative context as a polite way to express complaints.
這個課有一點簡單这个课有一点简单
This course is a little bit simple.
(It implies that the speaker is dissatisfied with the current course difficulty and wishes for it to be a bit harder.)
他買的東西常常有一點便宜他买的东西常常有一点便宜
The things he buys are often a little bit cheap.
(It suggests that the speaker is dissatisfied with the items purchased by that person and hopes they would buy something a bit more expensive.)
你做的菜有一點好吃你做的菜有一点好吃 ❌
The dish you made is a bit delicious.
(It doesn’t make sense.)