Grammar Point:
The Chinese word 几 jǐ is often used to indicate an approximate or indefinite number. It is similar to the English words “a few,” “several,” or “a couple of” when used to describe a small, unspecified quantity.
幾/几 jǐ
Numbers + jǐ (10~99)
我們家有二十幾本書我们家有二十几本书
We have over twenty books at home.
他學了十幾年的中文他学了十几年的中文
He has been studying Chinese for over ten years.
哈爾濱的冬天平均是零下二十幾度哈尔滨的冬天平均是零下二十几度
The average temperature in Harbin’s winter is over minus twenty degrees.
我奶奶八十幾歲了我奶奶八十几岁了
My grandmother is over eighty years old.
Jǐ + shí/bǎi/qiān/wàn + Measure word(10~99999)
In Chinese, we can combine 几 jǐ with 十 shí, 百 bǎi, 千 qiān, or 万 wàn, just as in English, you might say, ‘a few hundred’ or ‘a few thousand.
我身上只有幾十塊錢不夠買飯我身上只有几十块钱不够买饭
I only have a few tens of dollars on me, not enough to buy a meal.
街上有幾百個人在向政府抗議街上有几百个人在向政府抗议
There are hundreds of people protesting in the street against the government.
這次的地震造成了幾千戶停電这次的地震造成了几千户停电
This earthquake has caused power outages for thousands of households.
他是富二代的兒子,幾萬塊在他眼裡是小錢他是富二代的儿子,几万块在他眼里是小钱
He is the son of a second-generation wealthy individual, and tens of thousands of dollars are considered pocket change to him.
中國的三線城市有幾百萬個人中国的三线城市有几百万个人
China’s third-tier cities have millions of people.
FYI
In China, cities are categorized into tiers based on factors like population and economic development. The tier system includes:
First-tier cities: Most developed, e.g., Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen.
Second-tier cities: Economically significant, e.g., Tianjin, Chongqing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Chengdu.
Third-tier cities: Smaller and less developed, e.g., Zhengzhou, Changsha, Dalian.
Fourth and lower-tier cities: Smaller and less economically developed.
Understanding the city tier system is crucial for businesses entering the Chinese market. Tailoring approaches based on each tier’s unique characteristics ensures a more effective market strategy, considering variations in consumer behavior, preferences, and market dynamics. This understanding is key to the success of business endeavors in China.
Jǐ – Several (2~9)
我上網買了幾本書我上网买了几本书
I bought several books online.
他有幾位中國朋友他有几位中国朋友
He has several Chinese friends.
他在台灣住了幾年他在台湾住了几年
He has lived in Taiwan for several years.
怎麼說你幾句,你就生氣了怎么说你几句,你就生气了
I just said a few words to you; why did you get angry?
喝了幾杯酒後,他開始哭了起來喝了几杯酒后,他开始哭了起来
After drinking a few cups of alcohol, he started crying.
Hǎojǐ – Quite a Few (usually more than 5)
他比我大好幾歲他比我大好几岁
He is quite a few years older than me.
這部電影,你已經看了好幾遍了这部电影,你已经看了好几遍了
You’ve already watched this movie quite a few times.
好幾個人跟我抱怨你上班常常摸魚好几个人跟我抱怨你上班常常摸鱼
Quite a few people have complained to me that you often slack off at work.
FYI
The Chinese slang term 摸鱼 mōyú literally translates to “touching fish.” However, it is commonly used as an informal expression in the context of the workplace, and it has a specific meaning related to slacking off, idling, or not working diligently. When someone says another person is 摸鱼 mōyú, it suggests that the individual is not putting in the effort or is engaged in activities unrelated to work during work hours.
The term 摸鱼 mōyú is believed to have its roots in the Chinese idiom渾水摸鱼 húnshuǐ mōyú, which literally translates to “touching fish in muddy waters.” This idiom refers to the act of seizing the opportunity to catch fish while the water is murky, metaphorically indicating taking advantage of chaos or confusion to gain unexpected benefits.
我已經好幾年沒回國了我已经好几年没回国了
I haven’t returned to my home country for quite a few years.
最近一連下了好幾天的雨,我都快發霉了最近一连下了好几天的雨,我都快发霉了
It has been raining continuously for quite a few days recently, and I’m getting moldy.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ Near my home, there are over ten food stalls. Which one would you like to try?
我家附近有十幾家小吃店,你想試試哪一家?我家附近有十几家小吃店,你想试试哪一家?
✔️ I have been working in this city for the past several years.
我過去幾年一直在這個城市工作我过去几年一直在这个城市工作
✔️ The coffee shop offers cakes in quite a few flavors.
咖啡店裡有好幾種口味的蛋糕咖啡店里有好几种口味的蛋糕
- Approximate Number with 大约 dàyuē (HSK 3)
- Approximate Number with 来 lái (HSK 4)