Grammar Point:
The phrase 不 bù in Chinese is typically used to negate a statement, similar to how “not” is used in English.
Structure
不 + Adjective
加拿大的夏天不熱加拿大的夏天不热
The summers in Canada are not hot.
我家不大我家不大
My house is not big.
我不矮、不胖、不笨也不醜我不矮、不胖、不笨也不丑
I am not short, not fat, not stupid, and also not ugly.
小貓不開心小猫不开心
The kitten is not happy.
我做的飯不好吃我做的饭不好吃
The food I made is not delicious.
那個不貴嗎?那个不贵吗?
That is not expensive?
不 + Verb
不 bù is commonly used to negate an action that a person does not want or intend to take. It pertains to your decision rather than an objective fact.
我今天不吃晚飯我今天不吃晚饭
I am not going to have dinner tonight. (Your decision)
你昨天為什麼不跟我說話你昨天为什么不跟我说话
Why didn’t you talk to me yesterday? (I know you did it on purpose.)
我不喝酒我不喝酒
I don’t drink. (Your decision)
我不喜歡唱歌我不喜欢唱歌
I don’t like to sing.
他不要學中文他不要学汉语
He doesn’t want to learn Chinese.
你不想來上課嗎?你不想来上课吗?
Don’t you want to come to class?
不 + 是 shì or 姓 xìng
These two specific verbs always require the use of 不 bù. YES 姓 xìng (last name) is a verb in Chinese.
我不是中國人我不是中国人
I am not Chinese.
他不姓李他不姓李
His last name isn’t Li.
Tone Changes
When the following word is in the first tone, second tone, or third tone, it should be pronounced with the fourth tone.
不好不好 not good
不知道不知道 don’t know
不能不能 not able to
When the following word is in the fourth tone or a neutral tone, 不 should be pronounced with the second tone.
不要不要 don’t want
不會不会 will not
Practice
Try to read the following words:
不 yào 不 xiǎng 不 kěyǐ 不 zhīdào 不 dǒng 不 qù 不 lái 不 shuìjiào 不 xǐhuan 不 fāngbiàn 不 dà 不 xiǎo 不 cháng 不 duǎn 不 pàng 不 shòu 不 néng 不 huì