Grammar Point:
Potential Complements indicate whether or not an action is possible. In this article, we will discuss other common terms related to Potential Complements. If you are not familiar with Potential Complements and Result Complements, I suggest you read the previous articles first.
- Potential Complements 1 (HSK 3)
- Result Complement 1 (HSK 2)
- Result Complement 2 (HSK 3)
Structure
V + 得 or 不 + 下
It indicates the capacity for holding or containing.
我家很小,只住得下兩個人我家很小,只住得下两个人
My house is small. It’s only two people can live there.
他的包包裝不下5本書他的包包装不下5本书
His bag contains no more than 4 books.
爸爸吃得下3碗飯爸爸吃得下3碗饭
Dad can eat 3 bowls of rice.
這沙發坐不下5個人,你坐地上吧!这沙发坐不下5个人,你坐地上吧!
This sofa can’t fit five people, so you can sit on the floor!
V + 得 or 不 + 起
It indicates a certain standard has been reached, and in most cases, means whether something is affordable or unaffordable. This is true except when the verb used is 看 kàn or 对 duì.
我吃得起龍蝦我吃得起龙虾
I can afford to eat lobster.
他讀不起哈佛大學他读不起哈佛大学
He couldn’t afford to go to Harvard.
(Not because of his scores or ability.)
FYI
Hey there! Did you know that the cost of education in Taiwan is relatively affordable? According to a 2020 report by the Ministry of Education, the average annual tuition fee for undergraduate programs in public universities was around NT$42,000 (approximately US$1,500), while the average tuition fee for graduate programs was around NT$50,000 (approximately US$1,800).
And the good news is that not many students have to take on debt to pay for their education. In fact, a survey conducted by the Ministry of Education in 2020 found that only around 16% of undergraduate students and 11% of graduate students had student loans. Plus, the average amount of debt was relatively low compared to other countries. So, if you’re considering studying in Taiwan, you can rest assured that you won’t have to break the bank to get a degree.
a
他買得起鄉下的房子,但是買不起城市的房子他买得起乡下的房子,但是买不起城市的房子
He can afford a house in the countryside, but he cannot afford a house in the city.
很多台灣人養不起孩子很多台湾人养不起孩子
Many Taiwanese people cannot afford to raise children.
Special cases:
我看不起不努力的人我看不起不努力的人
I look down on people who don’t work hard.
(看得起:to show respect for; to show respect for)
你睡朋友的男朋友,這樣對得起你朋友嗎?你睡朋友的男朋友,这样对得起你朋友吗?
You slept with your friend’s boyfriend. Do you think you are treating your friend fairly?
(对不起:let sb. down; unworthy of; unfair to)
想 + 得 or 不 + 起來/起来
It indicates remember or cannot remember.
我想不起來你的前女友叫什麼我想不起来你的前女友叫什么
I can’t remember what your ex-girlfriend’s name was.
你想得起來上次我們一起喝酒的酒館在哪裡嗎?你想得起来上次我们一起喝酒的酒馆在哪里吗?
Do you remember where the bar was that we drank together last time?
年紀大了,很多事都想不起來了年纪大了,很多事都想不起来了
As I get older, I can’t remember many things.
V + 得 or 不 + 動/动
It indicates have or lack of energy or physical strength required to do something.
你一個人搬得動這張桌子嗎?你一个人搬得动这张桌子吗?
Can you move this table by yourself?
這牛排太硬了,我咬不動这牛排太硬了,我咬不动
This steak is too hard, I can’t bite it.
我走不動了,休息一下吧我走不动了,休息一下吧
I can’t walk anymore, let’s take a break.
你吃太多了,我抱不動你你吃太多了,我抱不动你
You ate too much, I can’t carry you.
Special one: V得 and V不得
It indicates whether something is allowed or not allowed to be done.
這種藥吃得還是吃不得,要看醫生怎麼說这种药吃得还是吃不得,要看医生怎么说
This kind of medicine can eat or can not eat, depending on what the doctor said.
那孩子打不得也罵不得那孩子打不得也骂不得
That child cannot be punished or scolded.
這種話說不得这种话说不得
Such words should not be said.