Grammar Point:
In casual Chinese, people often shorten 因为 yīnwèi to 因 yīn and 除了 chúle to 除 chú. These abbreviations are common in speech and writing, especially online or in headlines.
因 yīn – because
This is often used in more formal writing, headlines, or brief statements, especially when trying to be concise.
因工作太忙,我沒時間運動因工作太忙,我没时间运动
Because work is too busy, I don’t have time to exercise.
他遲到了,是因路上塞車他迟到了,是因路上堵车
He was late because there was traffic on the road.
因天氣不佳,活動取消因天气不佳,活动取消
Because of bad weather, the event was canceled.
我今天心情很好,因狗狗早上親了我我今天心情很好,因狗狗早上亲了我
I’m in a great mood today because my dog gave me morning kisses.
因手機沒電,我迷路了兩小時因手机没电,我迷路了两小时
Because my phone died, I was lost for two hours.
因烏龍茶太好喝,我不小心喝了三杯因乌龙茶太好喝,我不小心喝了三杯
Because the Oolong tea was too good, I accidentally drank three cups.
除 chú – besides / except for
When used alone, 除 chú usually means “except” or “besides” and also appears in abbreviated writing, headlines, or spoken Chinese.
除他以外,大家都來了除他以外,大家都来了
Except for him, everyone came.
除中文,他還會日文和韓文除中文,他还会日文和韩文
Besides Chinese, he also speaks Japanese and Korean.
除假日,這家店每天都開除假日,这家店每天都开
Except holidays, this store is open every day.
除我之外,大家都忘了帶生日禮物除我之外,大家都忘了带生日礼物
Except for me, everyone forgot to bring a birthday gift.
除他,沒人願意凌晨三點來接我除他,没人愿意凌晨三点来接我
Except for him, no one would come pick me up at 3 a.m.
除Netflix,我現在不想看其他平台除Netflix,我现在不想看其他平台
Besides Netflix, I don’t want to watch anything else right now.