Grammar Point:
In Chinese, the word 偏 piān is often used to express a meaning similar to “contrary to expectations”, or “just (to do something) even though it’s not reasonable or expected.” It usually shows that someone does something deliberately, stubbornly, or despite objections or difficulties.
Structure
S + 偏 piān + V
It adds emphasis, often implying that someone is going against advice, common sense, or expectations. And it’s common in spoken Chinese and informal writing.
他病得很重,偏不去看醫生他病得很重,偏不去看医生
He’s seriously ill, yet he refuses to see a doctor.
天這麼冷,她偏要穿裙子天这么冷,她偏要穿裙子
It’s so cold, but she insists on wearing a skirt.
這麼難的工作,他偏說沒問題这么难的工作,他偏说没问题
It’s such a difficult job, yet he says it’s no problem.
明明知道辣會肚子痛,他偏要吃麻辣火鍋明明知道辣会肚子痛,他偏要吃麻辣火锅
He knows spicy food gives him a stomachache, but he still insists on eating spicy hot pot.
全家人想去海邊,他偏說要去爬山全家人想去海边,他偏说要去爬山
The whole family wanted to go to the beach, but he insisted on hiking instead.
我準備了很多玩具給我的狗,但她偏要咬我剛買的包我准备了很多玩具给我的狗,但她偏要咬我刚买的包
I got my dog so many toys, but she just insists on chewing my brand new bag.
S + 偏偏 piānpiān + V
偏偏 piānpiān is a stronger and more colloquial form of 偏 piān and also means “just happened to,” “of all things,” or “contrary to what would be expected.”
我準備好了雨傘,偏偏今天沒下雨我准备好了雨伞,偏偏今天没下雨
I brought an umbrella, but it just happened not to rain today.
大家都反對,偏偏他要去大家都反对,偏偏他要去
Everyone’s against it, yet he insists on going
每天早上鬧鐘響不醒,偏偏週末沒設鬧鐘就自動醒來每天早上闹钟响不醒,偏偏周末没设闹钟就自动醒来
I can’t wake up with an alarm on weekdays, but on weekends I wake up early with no alarm.
好不容易排到假期去旅行,偏偏那週天氣最差好不容易排到假期去旅行,偏偏那周天气最差
I finally got time off for a trip, and that week had the worst weather.
平常沒人找我,一忙起來偏偏訊息電話都來了平常没人找我,一忙起来偏偏讯息电话都来了
Normally no one contacts me, but the moment I get busy, all the messages and calls flood in.
我上班快遲到了,但我的貓偏偏那麼可愛地躺在我身上撒嬌我上班快迟到了,但我的猫偏偏那么可爱地躺在我身上撒娇
I was about to be late for work, but my cat just had to adorably lie on me and act all cuddly.