Grammar Point:
In Chinese, 由 yóu is often used to indicate “by” in the sense of agency, responsibility, or cause. It is commonly seen in formal writing or official contexts rather than casual speech.
Structure
由 yóu + Starting Point/Route/Method + V
由 yóu is a more formal alternative to 從 cóng when indicating route, means, or direction. It’s commonly used in instructions, signs, and formal descriptions to specify movement or how something is done.
由此入內由此入内
Enter through here.
由水路而來由水路而来
Came by water route.
這些書都是由飛機運來的这些书都是由飞机运来的
These books were transported by airplane.
由右邊出口離開由右边出口离开
Exit through the right exit.
FYI
In Chinese tradition, how you enter and exit a temple is symbolic!
👉 Entering from the Left Side (Left Blue Dragon – 左青龍): When you face the temple, entering from the left side is considered auspicious. The left side is associated with the “Blue Dragon,” symbolizing good luck, prosperity, and positive energy. Stepping in from here represents the arrival of blessings and a harmonious start.
👉 Exiting from the Right Side (Right White Tiger – 右白虎): After your visit or prayer, it’s customary to exit from the right side. This side is linked to the “White Tiger,” which represents protection and the removal of misfortune. Exiting from here is said to leave behind any negativity, ensuring that you walk away with only good vibes.
由 yóu + Person/Organization + V
由 yóu is a more formal way to indicate agency or responsibility compared to 被 bèi in passive voice. Unlike 被 bèi, which often has a negative connotation, 由 yóu simply states who is responsible for an action or decision.
這次考試的時間由老師安排这次考试的时间由老师安排
The exam time is arranged by the teacher.
這本書由他翻譯的这本书由他翻译的
This book was translated by him.
這次會議由經理主持这次会议由经理主持
This meeting is hosted by the manager.
那些錢該由我付那些钱该由我付
That money should be paid by me.
我的未來由我自己掌握我的未来由我自己掌握
My future is in my own hands.
由 yóu + Basis/Standard + V
由 yóu is often used to mean “according to” when indicating a basis or standard, and it’s commonly found in rules, guidelines, and formal documents.
薪水由工作經驗決定薪水由工作经验决定
The salary is determined based on work experience.
你的想法由你的行動來證明你的想法由你的行动来证明
Your thoughts are proven by your actions.
你的中文能力好不好,是由你的詞彙、語法、發音的掌握度來判別你的中文水平好不好,是由你的词汇、语法、发音的掌握度来判别
Whether your Chinese ability is good or not is determined by your mastery of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.
座位的順序由報名時間先後決定座位的顺序由报名时间先后决定
The seating order is determined by the order of registration.