Grammar Point:
In Chinese, 才 cái is used to indicate that something is less than expected or insufficient, often reflecting the speaker’s surprise or dissatisfaction. It can also suggest that something happened later or more slowly than anticipated, similar to “not until” or “as late as” in English.
Structure
S + 才 cái + V + O
This structure indicates that something is less than expected or insufficient.
你去超市去了2個小時,你才買了一瓶水嗎?你去超市去了2个小时,你才买了一瓶水吗?
You spent two hours at the supermarket and only bought one bottle of water?
他住在中國10年了,怎麼才會說3句中文他住在中国10年了,怎么才会说3句中文
He has been living in China for 10 years, how can he only speak three sentences of Chinese?
今天一整天你才吃了一個小麵包,你在減肥嗎?今天一整天你才吃了一个小面包,你在减肥吗?
You only ate one small bread roll the entire day today, are you on a diet?
他才學中文2個月就打算考HSK5,不是天才就是白痴他才学中文2个月就打算考HSK5,不是天才就是白痴
He plans to take HSK 5 after only studying Chinese for two months. He’s either a genius or a fool.
他才來台灣2個星期,所以很多事都還不習慣他才来台湾2个星期,所以很多事儿都还不习惯
He has only been in Taiwan for two weeks, so he’s still not used to a lot of things.
我才說錯一次話,你要記仇多久!我才说错一次话,你要记仇多久!
I only made one mistake in what I said, how long will you hold a grudge for?
才 cái + Number + Measure word + N
你才30歲啊,我一直記得你說你40!你才30岁啊,我一直记得你说你40!
You’re only 30 years old? I remember you saying you were 40!
你的薪水才1000塊美金!這樣夠用嗎?你的工资才1000块美金!这样够用吗?
Your salary is only USD 1000! Is that enough for you?
才8顆雞蛋,竟然要5塊美金,太坑人了!才8颗鸡蛋,竟然要5块美金,太坑人了!
Only 8 eggs for 5 dollars? That’s such a rip-off!
FYI
坑人 kēngrén is a slang term used in Chinese to describe situations where someone has been misled or tricked. It’s a bit like saying “that’s not fair!” or “I got taken advantage of”. For example, if you were expecting a good deal on something but it turned out to be too expensive or of poor quality, you might say “这也太坑人了吧 zhè yě tài kēngrén le ba” which means “this is too much of a rip-off”. It’s a common way of expressing frustration or disappointment when things don’t go as expected.
才15個人追蹤你,你的Youtube頻道可能要調整方向了才15个人追踪你,你的Youtube频道可能要调整方向了
You only have 15 followers, maybe you need to adjust the direction of your YouTube channel.
S + Time word + 才 cái + V
This structure suggests that something happened later or more slowly than anticipated.
不好意思,你們先吃吧!我大概八點才會到不好意思,你们先吃吧!我大概八点才会到
Sorry, you go ahead and eat first! I probably won’t arrive until around 8 o’clock.
他明年才會來台灣他明年才会来台湾
He won’t come to Taiwan until next year.
現在客人比較多,餐點要30分鐘才會好现在客人比较多,餐点要30分钟才会好
There are many customers now, so it will take 30 minutes for the meal to be ready.
你怎麼28歲才從大學畢業?你怎么28岁才从大学毕业?
Why did you graduate from college at 28?
(People usually graduate from college at 22 to 24, so 28 is later than I expected.)
為什麼現在才告訴我今天是你生日为什么现在才告诉我今天是你生日
Why you hadn’t told me it’s your birthday till now?
我昨天趕報告,一直到半夜3點才睡我昨天赶报告,一直到半夜3点才睡
I was trying to catch upon the report yesterday, so didn’t sleep until 3 am.
Time words can be omitted when the context is clear to both the listener and the speaker.
你才來,電影都開始了!你才来,电影都开始了!
You’ve just arrived, and the movie has already started!
你怎麼才說,大家剛剛問你時幹嘛不說你怎么才说,大家刚刚问你时干嘛不说
Why did you only say it now? You were quiet when every
Other 才 cái related posts: