Grammar Point:
This structure 够 gòu …的 de is used to express that something is “enough to reach a certain extent” or “sufficiently.” It emphasizes the degree or extent of a quality, often to highlight how remarkable or notable something is.
Structure
够 gòu + (S) + Adj + 的 de
This pattern conveys a casual, emphatic tone, meaning something is “truly enough” or “so much that it stands out.” It often has a subjective or evaluative nuance.
昨天的派對夠熱鬧的昨天的派对够热闹的
Yesterday’s party was REALLY lively!
你給他的這幾件事就夠他忙的了你给他的这几件事就够他忙的了
The stuff you gave him is more than enough to keep him busy.
養五隻狗就已經夠累的,拜託你不要再領養狗了养五只狗就已经够累的,拜托你不要再领养狗了
Taking care of five dogs is already exhausting—please don’t adopt any more!
你最近的工作夠辛苦的,該好好休息了你最近的工作够辛苦的,该好好休息了
You’ve been working REALLY hard lately—you really need a good rest.
你這個人也是夠奇怪的,別人罵你你還這麼高興你这个人也是够奇怪的,别人骂你你还这么高兴
You’re SO weird—someone insults you, and you’re actually happy about it.
爺爺留下的遺產夠我花的爷爷留下的遗产够我花的
The inheritance Grandpa left is more than enough for me to live on.
你真是夠笨的,那是詐騙啊,你怎麼會不知道你真是够笨的,那是诈骗啊,你怎么会不知道
You’re SO naive! That was a scam—how could you not know?
FYI
In Taiwan, many people are hesitant to use credit cards and digital payments due to concerns about scams. Fraudsters often impersonate officials or bank employees to trick individuals into transferring money or sharing personal information. Because of this, cash and traditional payment methods are still preferred by many. Despite efforts by the government to raise awareness and improve security, the fear of scams continues to hold back the widespread use of digital payments in Taiwan.
Common Usage
不够意思 búgòuyìsi
The phrase 不够意思 búgòuyìsi is a colloquial expression in Chinese, commonly used to describe someone’s behavior as not being considerate, generous, or fair enough, particularly in social or interpersonal situations. It conveys a sense of disappointment or mild criticism.
大家都出錢了,你卻一分錢都不出,這就不夠意思了大家都出钱了,你却一分钱都不出,这就不够意思了
Everyone chipped in to pay, but you didn’t contribute a cent—that’s really not cool.
說好了你要來,結果又爽約,你真不夠意思!说好了你要来,结果又爽约,你真不够意思!
You promised to come, but you didn’t show up—so unreliable!
你明知道今天是我生日,居然沒說一句話,這也太不夠意思了吧!你明知道今天是我生日,居然没说一句话,这也太不够意思了吧!
You knew it was my birthday today, and you didn’t even say a word—how inconsiderate of you!
- “Enough” in Chinese – 够 gòu (HSK 3)