Grammar Point:
就 jiù has the function of indicating an occurrence that happened earlier or sooner than expected. It can also be used to express that something is going to happen in the very near future.
Structure
S + Time word + 就 jiù + V
Function 1 – It indicates that something is going to happen very soon, and it can be translated into ‘right away’ in English or sometimes left untranslated.
等我一下,我立刻就到等我一下,我立刻就到
Wait for me, I’ll be right there.
他明天就會來台灣了他明天就会来台湾了
He will come to Taiwan tomorrow.
給我5分鐘就好给我5分钟就好
Give me five minutes and I’ll be ready.
你現在就把電視關掉,然後去寫作業你现在就把电视关掉,然后去写作业
Turn off the TV now and go do your homework.
我們馬上就要開始會議了,請把手機調靜音我们马上就要开始会议了,请把手机调静音
We’re about to start the meeting. Please mute your cell phone.
- If you want to express that an action has “just” happened, you should use 才 cái
Function 2 – It indicates that something happens much earlier or faster than expected, and it is usually left untranslated in English.
他明天就會來台灣了他明天就会来台湾了
He will come to Taiwan tomorrow.
(I thought he will come to Taiwan next month.)
你下個月就要回國嗎,太快了!你下个月就要回国吗,太快了!
You’re going back home next month? It’s too soon!
他18歲就結婚了他18岁就结婚了
He got married when he was 18.
(People usually don’t get married at 18, so it is earlier than I expected.)
爺爺坐在椅子上5分鐘就睡著了爷爷坐在椅子上5分钟就睡着了
Grandfather sat in the chair for just 5 minutes and fell asleep.
(5 minutes is faster than I expected.)
你為什麼現在就來我家,我們不是約晚上見嗎?你为什么现在就来我家,我们不是约晚上见吗?
Why are you coming to my house right now? I thought we were meeting tonight.
- If you want to express lateness, you should use 才 cái
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
She arrived at the company at 6:30 (much) earlier than usual.
她六點半就到公司了她六点半就到公司了
I’ll be home now.
我現在就回家我现在就回家
It took him only 5 minutes to finish the work.
他5分鐘就做完工作了他5分钟就做完工作了
Other 就 jiù related posts: