Grammar Point:
In Chinese grammar, 替 tì and 代替 dàitì are prepositions used to indicate substitution or acting on behalf of someone or something.
Structure
Noun/Pronoun + 替 tì + Noun/Pronoun + V
The nouns and pronouns here usually are human not objects.
他替我做了很多工作他替我做了很多工作
He did a lot of work for me. (substitution)
我替老闆接了電話我替老板接了电话
I answered the phone for the boss. (on behalf of)
他替我去了會議他替我去了会议
He went to the meeting for me. (in place of)
他們替孩子們準備了很多禮物他们替孩子们准备了很多礼物
They prepared many gifts for the children. (for the benefit of)
請你替我代班一天请你替我代班一天
Can you take my shift for a day?
他替我修了車,我給了他一些錢他替我修了车,我给了他一些钱
He fixed my car for me, and I gave him some money.
你可以請他替你簽字你可以请他替你签字
You can ask him to sign for you.
Noun + 代替 dàitì + Noun
The nouns here usually are objects not human.
你用燕麥奶代替牛奶做吧你用燕麦奶代替牛奶做吧
Could you please use oat milk instead of cow’s milk?
我可以用這個代替你的禮物嗎?我可以用这个代替你的礼物吗?
Can I use this as a substitute for your gift?
我用茶代替酒跟你們乾杯我用茶代替酒跟你们干杯
Let me raise my tea to toast with you instead of wine.
FYI
In China, there’s a tradition where people swap out alcohol for tea. Instead of toasting with wine or beer, we use tea. It’s called 以茶代酒 yǐ chá dài jiǔ. This tradition is about more than just a drink. It shows respect and is seen as a healthier choice. Imagine being at a party in China. Instead of clinking glasses of alcohol, you’d clink teacups filled with delicious tea. This tradition is all about balance and taking care of yourself. Tea is a big deal in China. It’s not just a drink; it’s part of our way of life. We have fancy tea ceremonies and art. For us, tea is a way to relax and enjoy life.
對孩子來說是無人可代替父母的重要性对孩子来说是无人可代替父母的重要性
The importance of parents is irreplaceable for children.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ Please thank him for me.
請替我謝謝他请替我谢谢他
✔️ Can you buy some Korean instant noodles for me?
你能替我買一些韓國泡麵回來嗎?你能替我买一些韩国方便面回来吗?
✔️ Can I use a different fruit as a substitute if I don’t have strawberries?
如果我沒有草莓可以用別的水果代替嗎?如果我没有草莓可以用别的水果代替吗?