Grammar Point:
In Chinese, verb reduplication V一V suggests that the action is being done in a laid-back manner or that this action only takes a short time.
Structure
V(一)V
These two verbs must be a monosyllabic verb, and the 一 yī can be dropped without changing the meaning.
我們出去走一走吧我们出去走一走吧
Let’s go for a (short) walk.
你可以幫我看一看我的句子對不對嗎?你可以帮我看一看我的句子对不对吗?
Can you check if my sentences are correct? (more like a quick check)
你先想一想再告訴我答案你先想一想再告诉我答案
Take some time to think before giving me an answer.
我比較喜歡在家聽聽音樂、看看電視我比较喜欢在家听听音乐、看看电视
I prefer staying at home, listening to music, and watching TV. (just doing it laid-back manner not serious)
你再找找,你的手機真的不見了嗎?你再找找,你的手机真的不见了吗?
(Quick) Look again, did you really lose your phone?
我只是畫畫簡單的東西我只是画画简单的东西
I just draw (more like doodle) simple things.
Compare The Following Sentences
請你幫我看一看我的作業请你帮我看一看我的作业
Please help me quick check my homework.
請你幫我看我的作業请你帮我看我的作业
Please help me check my homework. (more carefully and detail)
週末我學學中文周末我学学中文
I’ll study a bit of Chinese on the weekend. (in a more laid-back manner)
週末我學中文周末我学中文
I study Chinese on the weekend.