Grammar Point:
要不然 yàoburán is a Chinese term used to suggest an alternative or express a conditional scenario. It’s often translated as “otherwise” or “or else” in English. In conversational Chinese, it’s also common to hear native speakers say 不然 bùrán, 那不然 nà bùrán or 啊不然 a bùrán instead.
Structure
Condition + 要不然 + Result
First, state a situation or fact, then add 要不然 yàoburán followed by the result or consequence if this situation or fact doesn’t hold true. It’s often translated as “otherwise” in English.
我要走了,要不然會趕不上火車我要走了,要不然会赶不上火车
I’m about to leave; otherwise, I’ll miss the train.
快點睡覺,要不然明天起不來快点睡觉,要不然明天起不来
Go to bed early; otherwise, you won’t be able to wake up tomorrow.
不要吃太辣,要不然等一下你就肚子痛不要吃太辣,要不然等一下你就肚子疼
Don’t eat too spicy; otherwise, your stomach will ache later.
你少喝點咖啡,不然晚上會睡不著你少喝点咖啡,不然晚上会睡不着
Drink less coffee; otherwise, you won’t be able to sleep at night.
Note: The first sentence should be a statement, not a question.
除非 chúfēi + Condition + 要不然 + Result
除非 chúfēi translates to “unless” or “except if” in English. It introduces a condition that must be met for the subsequent result to happen. It’s a frequently used pairing with 要不然 yàoburán.
除非你也去中國旅行,要不然我不去除非你也去中国旅行,要不然我不去
I won’t go unless you also travel to China.
除非這個工作有很多錢,啊不然我不做除非这个工作有很多钱,啊不然我不做
I won’t take the job unless it pays well.
除非他說他愛我,要不然我不可能跟他結婚除非他说他爱我,要不然我不可能跟他结婚
I won’t marry him unless he says he loves me.
除非你生病,要不然都要12小時前請假除非你生病,要不然都要12小时前请假
Unless you’re sick, you need to request leave 12 hours in advance.
Statement with option 1 + 要不然 + Option 2
It is used to propose an alternative choice, often translating to ‘how about’ in English.
你不喜歡吃火鍋,要不然我們去吃壽司你不喜欢吃火锅,要不然我们去吃寿司
You don’t like hot pot, so how about we go for sushi?
你星期三沒空,那不然我們星期五上課你星期三没空,那不然我们星期五上课
You’re not available on Wednesday, so how about we have class on Friday instead?
他最近很忙,要不然這次吃飯就別找他了他最近很忙,要不然这次吃饭就别找他了
He’s been really busy lately (it’s too difficult to make plans to have a meal with him), so let’s not bother inviting him this time.
A:我手痛不能打籃球我手痛不能打篮球
My hand hurts, so I can’t play basketball.
B:啊不然我們踢足球?啊不然我们踢足球?
How about we play soccer instead?
A:明天會下雨,我們別去野餐了明天会下雨,我们别去野餐了
It’s going to rain tomorrow, let’s not go for a picnic.
B:不然我們改看電影?不然我们改看电影?
How about we watch a movie instead?
Common Mistakes
In English, it’s common for people to structure a sentence as a question followed by “otherwise.” For instance, “Do you have time tomorrow? Otherwise, I will go to the library.” In Chinese, an equivalent term for this kind of “question otherwise” would be 不然的话 bùrán dehuà.
Question + 不然的話 bùrán dehuà + Result
你星期三有空嗎?不然的話我打算去圖書館你星期三有空吗?不然的话我打算去图书馆
Do you have time on Wednesday? Otherwise, I plan to go to the library.
你要吃嗎?不然的話我就吃掉了你要吃吗?不然的话我就吃掉了
Do you want to eat? Otherwise, I’ll eat it.
你確定會去參加派對嗎?不然的話我就跟別人一起去了你确定会去参加派对吗?不然的话我就跟别人一起去了
Are you sure you’ll attend the party? Otherwise, I’ll go with someone else.