Grammar Point:
果然 guǒrán is an adverb that conveys a sense of confirmation or realization, often indicating that the result is consistent with expectations. It’s commonly used to express “as expected” or “sure enough” in English.
Structure
S + 果然 guǒrán + V + O
你果然學得很快你果然学得很快
You really learn quickly just as I expected.
她果然沒收到通知她果然没收到通知
Sure enough, she didn’t receive the notification.
這隻貓果然是有人養的这只猫果然是有人养的
This cat is indeed someone’s pet.
台北的房價果然不是我能負擔的台北的房价果然不是我能负担的
The property prices in Taipei are indeed beyond what I can afford.
果然是朋友,我還沒說你就知道果然是朋友,我还没说你就知道
You’re truly a friend, you knew even before I said it.
果然 guǒrán + Clause
果然,就跟你說的一樣果然,就跟你说的一样
Indeed, just as you said.
早上天空很多烏雲,果然,下午就下大雨了早上天空很多乌云,果然,下午就下大雨了
In the morning, there were many dark clouds in the sky. As expected, it rained heavily in the afternoon.
果然,股票買賣太複雜了果然,股票买卖太复杂了
Sure enough, stock trading is too complex.
果然,這世上沒有錢解決不了的事果然,这世上没有钱解决不了的事
Sure enough, there’s nothing money can’t solve in this world.
果然,還是台灣的泡麵最好吃果然,还是台湾的方便面最好吃
Sure enough, Taiwanese instant noodles are the most delicious.
FYI
Taiwan is known for its diverse and delicious food culture, and instant noodles are no exception. Taiwanese instant noodles have gained popularity not only within Taiwan but also internationally. If you enjoy spicy flavors, you should try the beef noodles or the Hell Pepper Dry noodles. If you can’t handle spiciness, I recommend trying the seafood cup noodles or vegetarian noodles. Also, most Taiwanese instant noodle packages come with a variety of toppings, such as dehydrated vegetables, meat, tofu, and condiments. These toppings add visual appeal and additional flavors to the dish. If you visit Taiwan, it’s a great idea to explore different brands and flavors to find the ones that best suit your taste.
Other Common Phrases
果然如此 guǒrán rúcǐ
It can be translated to “just as expected” or “as I thought” in English. When you use this phrase, you’re essentially saying that the outcome or situation aligns with what you had already predicted or believed would happen. It’s a common colloquial expression used in various contexts to show that things turned out the way you foresaw them.
A:你聽說了嗎?王老師不教了你听说了吗?王老师不教了
Have you heard? Teacher Wang is not teaching anymore.
B:果然如此果然如此
Just as expected.
A:今天的消息說HSK要改版了今天的消息说HSK要改版了
The news today says HSK is going to be revised.
B:果然如此,我去年就聽Tiffany說過果然如此,我去年就听Tiffany说过
Just as expected, I heard Tiffany mention that last year.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ After I finished using the restroom, the cake on the table was gone, as expected.
當我上完廁所,桌上的蛋糕果然被吃完了当我上完厕所,桌上的蛋糕果然被吃完了
✔️ I looked at the floor, and as expected, there was a lot of whipped cream on the ground.
我看了地上,果然有很多鮮奶油在地上我看了地上,果然有很多鲜奶油在地上
✔️ The one who sneakily ate the cake, as expected, is now hiding behind the couch – my dog.
偷吃蛋糕的兇手,果然是現在躲在沙發後的狗偷吃蛋糕的凶手,果然是现在躲在沙发后的狗
- 竟然 jìngrán and 居然 jūrán – Unexpectedness (HSK 4)