Grammar Point:
In Chinese, the phrase 是不是 shì bú shì is commonly used to form “yes-no question” or to seek confirmation from someone. It is equivalent to the English phrase “isn’t it?” or “right?”
Structure
Statement + 是不是 shì bú shì
In this pattern, the speaker is seeking confirmation for information that is already known or evident from the context.
你會說中文,是不是?你会说中文,是不是?
You speak Chinese, right?
那家餐廳要先預約,是不是?那家餐厅要先预约,是不是?
We need to make a reservation for that restaurant, right?
你家也有狗,是不是?你家也有狗,是不是?
You also have a dog, don’t you?
你們還要很久才會好,是不是?你们还要很久才会好,是不是?
It will take a long time for you to get ready, right?
爸爸還沒回來,是不是?爸爸还没回来,是不是?
Dad’s not back yet, is he?
是不是 shì bú shì + Predicate
Again, In this pattern, the speaker is seeking confirmation for old information, which is different from the structure using 吗 ma.
- 你有女朋友嗎?你有女朋友吗?
Do you have a girlfriend?
This sentence is asking a question. The speaker has no clue of the answer.
- 你有沒有女朋友?你有没有女朋友?
Do you have a girlfriend or not?
This sentence is also asking a question. The speaker has no clue of the answer.
- 你是不是有女朋友?你是不是有女朋友?
You have a girlfriend, right?
This question is seeking confirmation, as the speaker has already assumed the answer.
啊!我是不是少買了一張票?啊!我是不是少买了一张票?
Oh no! Did I forget to buy one ticket?
他的說法是不是很容易讓人誤會!他的说法是不是很容易让人误会!
Is it very easy for people to misunderstand what he has said?
我們約在公館站是不是比較近?我们约在公馆站是不是比较近?
Meeting at Gongguan Station, is it closer, right?
我們是不是有10年沒見了?我们是不是有10年没见了?
It’s been 10 years since we’ve seen each other, hasn’t it?
你是不是忘記今天是我生日了你是不是忘记今天是我生日了…
Did you forget that today is my birthday?
2個月沒見,你是不是瘦了?2个月没见,你是不是瘦了?
It’s been 2 months since we last met. You have lost weight, right?
FYI
In Western culture, mentioning someone’s appearance may be considered quite impolite. However, in Taiwan and China, it is very common. Although some young people nowadays may not like being commented on their appearance, overall, discussing someone’s physical changes to show concern is still a cultural norm here. It’s actually just a way of greeting. So when someone asks you, “Have you gained weight recently?” or “You look tired,” or “Your face looks round,” you don’t need to take it too seriously. Simply respond with a brief acknowledgment like, “Oh yeah, it seems like it,” and that would be enough.
Mordern Usage
是不是 shì bú shì
In texts and among the younger generation, people often reply with 是不是 shì bú shì to express agreement of other people’s view, similar to saying “I know, right?”
A:你衣服很好看,在哪裡買的?你衣服很好看,在哪里买的?
Your clothe looks really nice. Where did you buy it?
B:是不是!我在夜市買的一件才190是不是!我在夜市买的一件才190
I know, right? I bought this one at the night market for only 190.
A:中文也太難學了吧!中文也太难学了吧!
Learning Chinese is sooo difficult!
B:是不是!我早就跟你說過了!是不是!我早就跟你说过了!
I know, right? I’ve been telling you that for a long time!
A:狗好可愛喔狗好可爱喔
Dogs are so adorable.
B:是不是!你要不要也養一隻?是不是!你要不要也养一只?
I know, right? Do you want to get one too?
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ He’s drunk, isn’t he?
他是不是喝醉了?他是不是喝醉了?
✔️ Shouldn’t you apologize to me first?
你是不是應該先跟我道歉?你是不是应该先跟我道歉?
✔️ Elder brother’s been busy lately, hasn’t he?
哥哥最近很忙是不是?哥哥最近很忙是不是?