Grammar Point:
There are six different ways to ask yes-no questions in Chinese, and the choice of which one to use can depend on factors such as location, occasion, and the people being spoken to.
Structure
S + V + O + 嗎/吗 ma
This is the most simple and common yes-no question asking whether the person does it.
你吃飯嗎?你吃饭吗?
Do you eat rice? (This not a common question.)
你喝咖啡嗎?你喝咖啡吗?
Do you drink coffee?
這是垃圾嗎?这是垃圾吗?
Is this garbage?
你有貓嗎?你有猫吗?
Do you have a cat?
S + Neg + V + O + 嗎/吗 ma
This is a yes-no question that implies that the speaker is surprised or expects the answer to be “yes.”
你不吃飯嗎?你不吃饭吗?
Don’t you eat?
你不穿衣服嗎?你不穿衣服吗?
Don’t you wear clothes?
你沒給錢嗎?你没给钱吗?
Did you not pay?
你沒有貓嗎?你没有猫吗?
You don’t have a cat?
S + V + Neg + V + O
This is another very simple and common yes-no question, asking whether the person does it.
你吃不吃飯?你吃不吃饭?
Do you eat (rice or a meal)?
這裡賣不賣咖啡?这儿卖不卖咖啡?
Do they sell coffee here?
你有沒有錢?你有没有钱?
Do you have money?
他是不是英國人?他是不是英国人?
Is he British?
S + V + O + Neg + V
This is a question asking if the person does something or not. It is a more direct way of asking than the first sentence, and it also implies that the speaker is feeling annoyed.
你吃飯不吃?你吃饭不吃?
Are you going to eat or not?
你買手機不買?你买手机不买?
Do you want to buy a phone or not?
他看電視沒看?他看电视没看?
Did he watch TV or not?
你有小三沒有?你有小三没有?
Do you have a mistress or not?
FYI
The Chinese slang term 小三 xiǎo sān is used to refer to a third person in a romantic relationship, like a mistress or lover who’s having an affair with one of the partners. It’s a pretty common term in both China and Taiwan and you might hear it in the media or everyday conversation.
S + V + O + 沒有 méiyǒu
This is a yes-no question that is asking whether the person has already done it or not. It indicates the speaker assumes that the listener has likely already done it, but is not certain and wants to confirm.
你吃飯沒有?你吃饭没有?
Have you eaten?
弟弟寫作業沒有?弟弟写作业没有?
Has your brother written his homework?
你看新聞沒有?你看新闻没有?
Have you seen the news?
他有女朋友沒有?他有女朋友没有?
Does he have a girlfriend?
S + 有 yǒu + V + O + 嗎/吗 ma
This is a unique but very common way to ask yes-no questions in Taiwan, but it does not conform to standard Mandarin. Therefore, if you are taking the HSK exam, you should not use this question form.
你有吃飯嗎?你有吃饭吗?
Have you eaten?
你有喝酒嗎?你有喝酒吗?
Do you drink? or Have you been drinking?
妹妹有去你家嗎?妹妹有去你家吗?
Did my sister go to your house?
爸爸有來台灣嗎?爸爸有来台湾吗?
Did Dad come to Taiwan? or Has Dad come to Taiwan?
Note: The reason why each sentence can have a different tense is that the above sentences do not have any Chinese time markers. Therefore, it is possible to use either tense depending on the context.