Grammar Point:
The words 不过 búguò, 但是 dànshì, and 可是 kěshì can all be used to express the meaning of “but” in Chinese, but they have slight differences in usage and tone.
Difference
但是 dànshì
This is a common and versatile word used to express contrast or contradiction in both spoken and written language. It can also be shortened to 但 dàn, which is often used in slightly formal written contexts.
我很喜歡狗但是不太喜歡小孩我很喜欢狗但是不太喜欢小孩
I really like dogs, but I’m not fond of children.
這個菜很辣但是很好吃这个菜很辣但是很好吃
This dish is very spicy, but it’s delicious.
你是好人但我們只能是朋友你是好人但我们只能是朋友
You’re a good person, but we can only be friends.
FYI
The term 好人卡 hǎorén kǎ in Chinese. It translates to “Good Person Card” in English. The “good person” culture is a subculture that emerged within internet culture since the 1990s. It’s all about dating and relationships. Basically, in this culture, if someone does brave, kind, and helpful things, they’re considered a “good person.” But here’s the twist: when a woman turns down a guy’s romantic advances, she may call him a “good person” but not someone she wants to date. That’s what they call “giving a good person card.” It’s kind of like the “nice guy” culture in the West.
這個地方風景很美,但交通不太方便这个地方风景很美,但交通不太方便
The scenery in this place is beautiful, but the transportation is not very convenient.
可是 kěshì
This word is similar in meaning and usage to 但是 dànshì, but it is slightly more informal in comparison. It is also suitable for both spoken and written language. It can also be shortened to 可 kě, which is often used in slightly formal written contexts.
我想去旅行,可是我沒時間也沒錢我想去旅行,可是我没时间也没钱
I want to travel, but I don’t have the time or money.
她想減肥,可是從不運動她想减肥,可是从不运动
She wants to lose weight but never exercises.
為什麼你吃這麼多可是還是很瘦?为什么你吃这么多可是还是很瘦?
Why do you eat so much but still stay slim?
我打算退休,可我太太說不行我打算退休,可我太太说不行
I plan to retire, but my wife says no.
不過/不过 búguò
This word functions as a softer form of ‘but.’ It is often used in a more casual or informal context and can imply a lighter contrast.
這本書有點貴,不過很多人推薦这本书有点儿贵,不过很多人推荐
This book is a bit expensive, but many people recommend it.
我也想去你的派對,不過我真的不想見到我也想去你的派对,不过我真的不想见到Tiffany
I also want to go to your party, but I really don’t want to see Tiffany.
狗真的很可愛,不過還是有很頭痛的時候狗真的很可爱,不过还是有很头痛的时候
Dogs are really cute, but they can still be a handful at times.
我不能給你錢,不過我可以教你怎麼賺錢我不能给你钱,不过我可以教你怎么挣钱
I can’t give you money, but I can teach you how to make money.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I really want to drink bubble tea, but there are no shops nearby that sell it.
我很想喝珍珠奶茶,可是我家附近都沒賣我很想喝珍珠奶茶,可是我家附近都没卖
✔️ I feel like I’m catching a cold, but it’s not too severe.
我好像感冒了,不過不太嚴重我好像感冒了,不过不太严重
✔️ I’m available tomorrow, but I can’t do it in the evening.
我明天有空,但是晚上不行我明天有空,但是晚上不行