Grammar Point:
In Chinese, 一共 yígòng (total) is primarily used for expressing the total quantity or sum, while 全 quán (all) emphasizes the completeness or entirety of something.
Structure
一共 yígòng + (V) + Numbers
It is used to indicate the total or overall quantity of something.
明天一共5個人要來明天一共5个人要来
Tomorrow, a total of five people are coming.
我們去美國旅遊一共花了10萬元我们去美国旅游一共花了10万元
We spent a total of 100,000 yuan on our trip to the United States.
今天一共學了25個單字今天一共学了25个单词
Today, we learned a total of 25 words.
台灣原住民一共有16族台湾原住民一共有16族
There are total 16 tribes of aborigines in Taiwan.
一共幾杯咖啡?一共几杯咖啡?
How many cups of coffee in total?
一杯咖啡,兩個蛋糕,一共多少錢?一杯咖啡,两个蛋糕,一共多少钱?
One cup of coffee, two cakes, how much does it cost in total?
全 quán + N
全 quán emphasizes the completeness or entirety of something so often go with adverb 都 dōu. It is typically paired up with nouns like 身 shēn (body), 家 jiā (family), 国 guó (country), 世界 shìjiè (world), 天 tiān (day), and similar ones.
我們全家人都會說英文我们全家人都会说英文
My whole family can speak English.
全公司的人都很生氣全公司的人都很生气
Everyone in the company is very angry.
台灣全年都會下雨台湾全年都会下雨
It rains all year round in Taiwan.
全 quán + V
我們全都不相信你說的話我们全都不相信你说的话
None of us believe what you’re saying.
員工全都走了员工全都走了
All the employees have left.
我全都吃完了我全都吃完了
I finished eating everything.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I want to do a full body check.
我想做全身健檢我想做全身健检
✔️ How long have you studied Chinese in total?
你一共學了多久中文?你一共学了多久中文?
✔️ Last year we all did not go abroad.
去年我們全都沒出國去年我们全都没出国