Grammar Point:
The word “also” in Chinese can be translated as 还 hái or 也 yě. Both are commonly used to indicate inclusion or addition in a sentence. It is important to note that they are always placed before the verb or adjective in Chinese sentences.
Structure
S + 也 yě + V
也 yě generally indicates that something is included in a similar way to what has been mentioned or in addition to it which can be translated into “also,” “either,” or “too” in English.
我喜歡狗,我弟弟也喜歡狗我喜欢狗,我弟弟也喜欢狗
I like dogs, and my younger brother likes them, too.
我也要喝珍珠奶茶!我也要喝珍珠奶茶!
I want to drink bubble tea, too!
你明天也會翹課嗎?你明天也会翘课吗?
Will you also skip class tomorrow?
你也覺得中文很難嗎?你也觉得中文很难吗?
Do you also find Chinese difficult?
When using negation, the negated word has to be placed after 也 yě.
他不吃肉,你也不吃肉嗎?他不吃肉,你也不吃肉吗?
He doesn’t eat meat. Do you also not eat meat?
我也不想學中文我也不想学中文
I don’t want to learn Chinese either.
我也沒錢我也没钱
I have no money either.
S + 也 yě + SV
明天天氣也很熱明天天气也很热
The weather will be hot tomorrow, too.
我今天也很忙我今天也很忙
I’m busy today as well.
日文難,韓文也難,為什麼語言都很難日文难,韩文也难,为什么语言都很难
Japanese is difficult, and Korean is also difficult. Why are all languages difficult?
我很高,我弟弟也很高我很高,我弟弟也很高
I’m tall, and my younger brother is tall, too.
S V O + 還/还 hái + V O
The adverb 还 hái can be used to connect two phrases together, similar to the way “and also” is used in English. When comparing it with 也 yě, 还 hái carries the meaning of additionally or in addition to.
我喜歡狗還喜歡貓我喜欢狗还喜欢猫
I like dogs and cats.
她會說日文還會說韓文她会说日文还会说韩文
She can speak Japanese and Korean.
我週末要爬山還要去海邊我周末要爬山还要去海边
I’m going hiking and going to the beach this weekend.
我早上喝了咖啡還吃了麵包我早上喝了咖啡还吃了面包
I had coffee and ate bread in the morning.
我有一個先生還有一個男朋友我有一个丈夫还有一个男朋友 😏
I have a husband and a boyfriend.
Difference between 也 yě and 還/还 hái
也 yě and 还 hái are sometimes interchangeable, but there are certain nuances in their usage. 也 yě is typically used when two different subjects are doing the same thing, while 还 hái is often used when one subject is doing two different things.
我喜歡狗也喜歡貓 = 我喜歡狗還喜歡貓我喜欢狗也喜欢猫 = 我喜欢狗还喜欢猫
I like dogs and cats.
你要喝咖啡,我也要喝咖啡你要喝咖啡,我也要喝咖啡
You want to drink coffee, and I also want to drink coffee.
我要喝咖啡還要喝果汁我要喝咖啡还要喝果汁
I want to drink coffee and also juice.
Common Mistakes
It is important to note that 也 yě is always placed before the verb and after the subject in Chinese sentences.
她有狗,我有狗也她有狗,我有狗也 ❌
她有狗,也我有狗她有狗,也我有狗 ❌
她有狗,我也有狗她有狗,我也有狗 ✅
She has a dog, I have a dog, too.
How to say “me, too” in Chinese
我也我也 ❌
我也是我也是 ✅
+ 1 ✅
FYI
the phrase “+1” (加一/jiāyī) is commonly used to express “me too” or “same here” in informal contexts. It is similar to the concept of “liking” or “upvoting” a comment or post on social media platforms. By using “+1,” someone is indicating that they share the same opinion or experience as the previous speaker. This usage is derived from internet culture and has become popular in informal conversations among Chinese speakers.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I would like a cup of black tea, and she would also like a cup of black tea.
我要一杯紅茶,她也要一杯紅茶我要一杯红茶,她也要一杯红茶
✔️ Is there anything else you need?
還需要什麼嗎?还需要什么吗?
✔️ I would also like a piece of cake, thank you.
我還要一個蛋糕,謝謝我还要一个蛋糕,谢谢