Grammar Point:
In Chinese grammar, 就 jiù can be used as an adverb to indicate “only” or “just” in a sentence. This usage of 就 jiù can be called “small quantity” because it is used to emphasize a small quantity or a small degree of something.
Structure
S + 就 jiù + V + O
我就喝了一杯水我就喝了一杯水
I only drank a glass of water.
(Emphasizes that I didn’t drink anything else.)
她就買了一本書她就买了一本书
She bought just a book.
(Emphasizes that she didn’t buy anything else.)
我們就聊了幾分鐘我们就聊了几分钟
We talked just for a few minutes.
(Emphasizes that we didn’t talk for very long.)
我們公司就有三個員工我们公司就有三个员工
We just have three employees in our company.
弟弟說他很累,可是他就看了10分鐘的書弟弟说他很累,可是他就看了10分钟的书
My younger brother said he was tired, but he just read a book for 10 minutes.
我就去過台灣一次我就去过台湾一次
I have only been to Taiwan once.
我的中文還說得不好,就會一點皮毛我的中文还说得不好,就会一点儿皮毛
My Chinese speaking is not good, I only know a little bit of it.
FYI
The phrase “就会一点儿皮毛 jiù huì yìdiǎnr pímáo” (only know a little fur) is a Chinese idiom that means “to have only superficial or rudimentary knowledge about something.” It can be used to describe someone who has a limited or shallow understanding of a topic, skill, or concept, implying that they lack deep knowledge or expertise. It can also be used to express humility about one’s own level of knowledge or skill, acknowledging that one only has a basic grasp of the subject matter.
就 jiù + Number + Measure word + N
這學期就5個人報名上課这学期就5个人报名上课
Only five people signed up for class this semester.
我們學校就2位老師而已我们学校就2位老师而已
We only have two teachers in our school.
台灣人的月薪就美金1000塊,不多台湾人的月薪就美金1000块,不多
A Taiwanese person’s monthly salary is just USD 1000, which is not much.
When using 就 jiù, you are simply presenting a small number without any expectation or surprise. If you want to express the speaker’s surprise or dissatisfaction that the quantity or degree is smaller than anticipated, you need to use 才 cái.
Difference between 就 jiù and 只 zhǐ
我就去過台灣一次我就去过台湾一次
I have only been to Taiwan once.
(It emphasizes the fact that the speaker has been to Taiwan only once, and the speaker thinks it is a small number, which perhaps implies that the speaker would like to go again.)
我只去過台灣一次我只去过台湾一次
I have only been to Taiwan once.
(It does not imply any particular attitude or desire on the part of the speaker.)
Q: 她買了什麼?Q: 她买了什么?
What did she buy?
A: 她就買了一本書A: 她就买了一本书
She bought just a book.
(It suggest that the person might have expected or wanted to buy more than one book. The use of “就 jiù” in this sentence conveys a sense of “just” that is slightly casual or informal.)
Q: 她買了幾本書?Q: 她买了几本书?
How many books did she buy?
A: 她只買了一本書A: 她只买了一本书
She bought only one book.
(It focuses more on the fact that books she was only bought one and it is possible that she also bought some pens and papers. The use of “只 zhǐ” in this sentence conveys a sense of “only” that is more formal or precise.)
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I gave him just a little money.
我就給了他一點錢我就给了他一点儿钱
✔️ I can speak just one sentence in Japanese.
我就會說一句日文我就会说一句日文
✔️ Your house has no kitchen or living room, just one room?
你家沒有廚房沒有客廳,就一個房間?你家没有厨房没有客厅,就一个房间?
Other 就 jiù related posts: