Grammar Point:
In this article, we’ll explore how to form comparison sentences without using 比 bǐ, as well as a more formal way to express comparisons in Chinese.
Structure
A + Adj. + B + Quantitative Complement
This structure indicates how much A differs from B in terms of a specific quality, often providing the exact numerical difference.
他高我五公分他高我五公分
He is five centimeters taller than me.
他早我十分鐘到公司他早我十分钟到公司
He arrived at the office ten minutes earlier than me.
姐姐大我十歲姐姐大我十岁
My sister is 10 years older than me.
這個電影長那個一個小時这个电影长那个一个小时
This movie is one hour longer than that one.
A + 有 yǒu + B + Adj. + 吗 ma?
This structure is often used to ask about the extent or degree of something, often with an implied comparison to something or someone well-known. And it’s okay to add 這么 zhème or 那么 nàme before the adjective to emphasize the degree.
你有比爾蓋茲那麼有錢嗎?你有比尔盖兹那么有钱吗?
Are you as rich as Bill Gates?
她有我美嗎?她有我美吗?
Is she as beautiful as me?
加州的夏天有台灣的這麼熱嗎?加州的夏天有台湾的这么热吗?
Is the summer in California as hot as Taiwan?
你的中文有我好嗎?你的中文有我好吗?
Do you speak Chinese better than I do?
In this structure, B can sometimes be omitted if the comparison is obvious from the context. However, you can only omit B when you use words like 這么 zhème or 那么 nàme. These words show that B is already at a certain level of the adjective, but A is even more so.
你有那麼有錢嗎?你有那么有钱吗?
Are you that rich?
她有這麼美嗎?她有这么美吗?
Is she that beautiful?
你有這麼忙嗎?你有这么忙吗?
Are you really that busy?
跟 gēn A 相比 xiāngbǐ, B ……
This comparison pattern, is slightly more formal than other common comparison structures. It’s frequently used in written Chinese, speeches, or formal discussions where a more polished tone is required.
跟上次考試相比,這次沒有那麼難跟上次考试相比,这次没有那么难
Compared with the last exam, this one is not so difficult.
跟你相比,我真是太善良了跟你相比,我真是太善良了
Compared to you, I’m really too kind.
跟他哥哥相比,她比較安靜跟他哥哥相比,她比较安静
Compared to her older brother, she’s quieter.
跟去年營業額相比,今年實在太慘了跟去年营业额相比,今年实在太惨了
Compared with last year’s sales, this year is really bad.
- Basic Comparisons (HSK 1)