The Difference Between 安心 ānxīn and 放心 fàngxīn
Both 安心 ānxīn and 放心 fàngxīn indicate a sense of peace or ease, but they have slightly different nuances.
安心 emphasizes a feeling of calmness that results from a sense of safety and security, and it is often used to describe a general sense of well-being. For example, “being with my family makes me feel safe and at ease.”
On the other hand, 放心 usually indicates a “peace of mind” because there is no longer a reason to worry or be anxious. It is often used in the context of a specific situation or person that has been a source of worry or concern. For example, “now that I know the results are negative, I can finally relax and have peace of mind.” We can also use 放心 to describe a state of mind, such as “you can trust this product, it’s reliable and you can rest assured.”
公司的事我會處理,你就安心休息吧公司的事我会处理,你就安心休息吧
I’ll take care of the company’s business, just take a rest.
小貓在我腳邊安心地睡覺小猫在我脚边安心地睡觉
The kitten sleeps peacefully at my feet.
他不放心這個人他不放心这个人
He doesn’t trust this person.
你放心吧,不會有事的你放心吧,不会有事的
Don’t worry, everything will be fine.
The last difference is 安心 ānxīn is a stative verb (adj.). While 放心 fàngxīn is a verb.
他做事,我非常安心他做事,我非常安心
I trust what he did.
他做事,我非常放心他做事,我非常放心 ❌
Grammatically, this is a wrong sentence, but native people sometimes say it.
About 放心 fàngxīn
In Chinese, we usually use the verb 放心 fàngxīn with a noun or a clause in a negative or interrogative sentence, rather than in an affirmative sentence. However, it can be used in an affirmative sentence when giving suggestions.
我不放心他的健康我不放心他的健康 ✅
I worry about his health.
(A negative sentence)
你放心他的健康嗎?你放心他的健康吗? ✅
Are you worried about his health?
(An interrogative sentence)
我不擔心他的健康我不担心他的健康 ❌
I do not worry about his health.
(An affirmative sentence)
你放心吧!他的健康沒問題!你放心吧!他的健康没问题! ✅
Don’t worry! His health is fine!
(Giving suggestions)