Grammar Point:
In Chinese, comparisons are expressed using the character 比 bǐ. In this article, we will discuss other words that can be used in conjunction with 比 bǐ, such as 那么 nàme, 更 gèng, and 不如 bùrú.
Structure
A + 比 + B + Adj. + Quantitative Complement
A Quantitative Complement in Chinese refers to a number combined with a measure word to indicate quantity, such as ‘2-year-old’, ’10 km’, ‘5 cm’, and so on.
我弟弟比我小三歲我弟弟比我小三岁
My brother is three years younger than me.
你的分數比我的高七分你的分数比我的高七分
Your score is 7 points higher than mine.
A + 比 + B + Adj. + Description
This is like saying that one thing is much more adjective than another in English.
The following words can be used in Chinese to express this comparison: 多了duōle, 一点 yìdiǎn, 一些 yìxiē, 得多 deduō, 很多 hěnduō
昨天比今天冷多了昨天比今天冷多了
Yesterday was much colder than today.
我妹妹比我漂亮一點,就一點我妹妹比我漂亮一点,就一点
My sister is a little prettier than me. Only a little bit.
我現在的工作比以前的多一些我现在的工作比以前的多一些
My current job is a little more than the previous one.
坐Uber比自己開車方便很多坐Uber比自己开车方便很多
Taking an Uber is much more convenient than driving yourself.
A + 比 + B + 更 or 還/还 + Adj.
Both 更 gèng and 还 hái emphasize the concept of ‘more’. This typically implies that the speaker’s initial idea was incorrect and needs to be corrected, or that the speaker wants to emphasize the degree of difference. These words can be translated as ‘even’ in English.
A: 你哥哥比你高嗎?A: 你哥哥比你高吗?
Is your brother taller than you?
B: 不是,我比我哥哥更高B: 不是,我比我哥哥更高
No, I’m even taller than my brother.
A: 今天很熱A: 今天很热
The weather is hot today.
B: 昨天比今天更熱B: 昨天比今天更热
No, it was even hotter yesterday.
A: 你是不是瘦了A: 你是不是瘦了
Have you lost weight?
B: 是的,我比以前還瘦B: 是的,我比以前还瘦
Yes, I am even thinner than before.
你的食量比小鳥還小你的食量比小鸟还小
You eat less than a small bird.
FYI
小鸟胃 xiǎoniǎo wèi (bird stomach) is a fun Chinese idiom that describes someone with a small appetite, just like a bird. It means that they can only eat a little bit at a time, and it’s often used in a playful way to tease someone who doesn’t eat much.
你怎麼比豬還懶?你怎么比猪还懒?
How come you are lazier than a pig?
A + 不如 + B
不如 bùrú is used to convey that A is “not as good as” B. And it is possible to omit the adjective or verb. When using this sentence structure, A and B need to match. If A is a noun, B should also be a noun; if A is a verb-object phrase, B should be too.
吃這家餐館不如回家吃这家餐馆不如回家
Eating at this restaurant isn’t as good as eating at home.
你妹妹的中文不如你的你妹妹的中文不如你的
Your sister’s Chinese is not as good as yours.
男朋友總是不如朋友男朋友总是不如朋友
Boyfriends are always not as good as friends.
搭公車不如地鐵搭公车不如地铁 ❌
Taking the bus isn’t as good as the subway.
(A and B not match)
A + 有 + B + (這麼/这么, 那麼/那么) + Adj.
The good news is that in Chinese, both 那么 nàme and 这么 zhème serve the same function. Therefore, there is no need to distinguish between them.
你的手機有我的(手機)那麼貴嗎?你的手机有我的(手机)那么贵吗?
Is your phone as expensive as mine?
他家的廁所有我家的房間這麼大!他家的厕所有我家的房间这么大!
His toilet is as big as my room.
你們國家的蟑螂一定沒有台灣的那麼大你们国家的蟑螂一定没有台湾的那么大
The cockroaches in your country must not be as big as those in Taiwan.
FYI
Oh, boy! Let’s talk about Taiwan cockroaches! They’re like the celebrities of the cockroach world. Thanks to Taiwan’s picture-perfect weather and delicious food, these little darlings can grow up to a whopping 4.8 centimeters (1.8 inches) in length, leaving other cockroaches in the dust.
If that wasn’t enough to impress you, get this – Taiwan cockroaches are super friendly! Unlike those boring old cockroaches that run away from people, Taiwan cockroaches are the life of the party. They love to socialize and make new friends, so don’t be surprised if one comes running directly at you with open arms – er, legs.
And just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, these cockroaches also have a secret superpower: they can fly! That’s right, folks, these little winged wonders are taking the cockroach game to a whole new level.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I understand one more grammar today than I did yesterday.
我今天比昨天多懂了一個文法我今天比昨天多懂了一个文法
✔️ Do you think you learn Chinese as hard as I learn English?
你覺得你學中文有我學英文那麼難嗎?你觉得你学中文有我学英文那么难吗?
✔️ I really think English is much more difficult than Chinese.
我真的覺得英文比中文更難我真的觉得英文比中文更难
- Basic Comparisons (HSK 1)
- Advanced Comparisons 1 跟…相比 (HSK5)