Grammar Point:
This 过 guò structure emphasizes that the action has already happened, so there is no need to do it again. It is often used when answering a suggestion or invitation.
Structure
S + V + 过了 guòle
A:要不要喝咖啡?要不要喝咖啡?
Do you want to drink coffee?
B:我喝過了,謝謝我喝过了,谢谢
I already had coffee, thank you.
A:你來得太晚了,冰淇淋車已經來過了你来得太晚了,冰淇淋车已经来过了
You came too late—the ice cream truck has already been here.
B:可惡!可恶!
Damn it!
A:你怎麼吃這麼多?你怎么吃这么多?
Why are you eating so much?
B:我今天還沒吃過東西,餓死了我今天还没吃过东西,饿死了
I haven’t eaten anything today yet. I’m starving.
媽媽妈妈:你今天練過鋼琴了嗎?你今天练过钢琴了吗?
Mom: Have you practiced the piano today?
孩子孩子:練過了练过了
Child: Yes, I already have.
过 guò vs 了 le
The 过 guò gives the feeling of “already had that experience / already did that before.”
我喝了我喝了
I drank it.
(a completed action, often answering “Did you drink?”)
我喝過了我喝过了
I already had it.
(I’ve done it, so don’t offer me again)
A1:上次跟你說的電影,你看了嗎?上次跟你说的电影,你看了吗?
Have you watched the movie I told you about last time?
B1:我看了我看了
I watched it.
👉 Simple statement (can sound like “I watched it (just now/yesterday)”)
A2:你要不要看這部電影?你要不要看这部电影?
Do you want to watch this movie?
B2:我看過了我看过了
I’ve already seen it.
👉 Clear: no need to recommend it again


