Grammar Point:
In Chinese, words like 下 xià、趟 tàng、遍 biàn、次 cì all appear after verbs and are often translated as “time” in English. However, they are not interchangeable. Each one highlights a different aspect of an action, such as frequency, completion, movement, or duration.
下 xià
It emphasizes that an action is brief, light, or done casually, rather than focusing on how many times it happens or whether it is completed from beginning to end. It often softens the tone of a request or suggestion and makes the action sound quick or less serious.
我踢了他一下我踢了他一下
I kicked him once.
她親了我一下她亲了我一下
She kissed me once.
我敲了三下門我敲了三下门
I knocked on the door three times.
🔎 Key idea: This Measure Word can be placed either in front of an object or after the object.
趟 tàng
趟 tàng is used to count the number of times a round trip is made or a journey is taken. It is used with verbs or actions that involve going and coming back.
我去了上海一趟我去了上海一趟
I went Shanghai one time.
這車載了兩趟煤这车载了两趟煤
This truck has transported two loads of coal.
因為孩子病得很嚴重,所以我一晚跑了三趟醫院因为孩子病得很严重,所以我一晚跑了三趟医院
My child is very sick, so I ran to the hospital 3 times a night.
🔎 Key idea: A trip involving movement (usually go and return).
遍 biàn
遍 biàn is used to indicate that something has been done or happened throughout an entire area or object. It is used with verbs or actions that involve going through a complete cycle. 次 cì can be used interchangeably with 遍 biàn, but 遍 biàn cannot be used in place of 次 cì.
這本書我看了兩遍这本书我看了两遍
I have read this book twice.
這衣服我洗了三遍還是不乾淨这衣服我洗了三遍还是不干净
I’ve washed this cloth three times, but it is still not clean.
洗衣機的使用方法我已經說了很多遍了洗衣机的使用方法我已经说了很多遍了
The use of the washing machine I have said many times.
🔎 Key idea: The action goes through the whole thing.
次 cì
It emphasizes the frequency of a repeated action rather than the completion of an action or the time spent performing it. This is also the most common way of describing how frequently or how many times you have done something.
你再說一次你再说一次
Say it one more time.
我每天都要喝三次咖啡我每天都要喝三次咖啡
I drink coffee three times a day.
我已經去過幾次上海了我已经去过几次上海了
I’ve been to Shanghai a few times.
🔎 Key idea: Just counts the number of times. No extra meaning.
Compare The Differences
我看了一次電影我看了一次电影
I watched a movie once. (just once)
我把電影看了一遍我把电影看了一遍
I watched the whole movie. (watched it from beginning to end)
我去了一次銀行我去了一次银行
I went to the bank once. (correct but neutral)
我去了一趟銀行我去了一趟银行
I went to the bank once. (more natural for physical trip)
Easy Memory Trick
下 xià = short
趟 tàng = travel
遍 biàn = complete
次 cì = count


