Grammar Point:
一时 yìshí refers to a short period of time, often meaning “at the moment,” “temporarily,” or “impulsively.” It’s commonly used to describe things that happen suddenly or only last for a brief time.
Structure
一时 yìshí + emotion or action
This structure shows something done briefly or without long-term intent.
我是一時生氣才說那種話的我是一时生气才说那种话的
I only said that because I was angry in the moment.
她一時沒忍住,半夜吃了整桶冰淇淋她一时没忍住,半夜吃了整桶冰淇淋
She couldn’t resist in the moment and ate a whole tub of ice cream at midnight.
你讓我推薦歌?我一時還真想不到你让我推荐歌?我一时还真想不到
You want me to recommend a song? I honestly can’t think of one at the moment.
他一時情緒上來,就把手機摔了他一时情绪上来,就把手机摔了
He got emotional for a moment and threw his phone.
我們是一時興起才開車去海邊的,根本沒計畫!我们是一时兴起才开车去海边的,根本没计画!
We drove to the beach on a whim—totally unplanned!
我一時衝動買了超貴的球鞋,現在有點後悔……我一时冲动买了超贵的球鞋,现在有点后悔……
I bought those ridiculously expensive sneakers on impulse. Now I kind of regret it…
我對你的討厭不是一時的,我忍你很久了我对你的讨厌不是一时的,我忍你很久了
My dislike for you isn’t just temporary. I’ve been putting up with you for a long time.
我這不是一時情緒不好,是看到你就心情不好我这不是一时情绪不好,是看到你就心情不好
It’s not that I’m just in a bad mood. It’s that seeing you puts me in a bad mood.
一时 yìshí vs 暂时 zànshí
- 一时 yìshí: It is often used to describe an emotional or impulsive reaction in the moment.
- 暂时 zànshí: Refers to a temporary situation or substitute, without emphasizing suddenness or emotion.
他一時找不到手機,就開始慌了他一时找不到手机,就开始慌了
He couldn’t find his phone for a moment and panicked.
我手機壞了,暫時用我爸的我手机坏了,暂时用我爸的
My phone is broken, so I’m temporarily using my dad’s.