Grammar Point:
In Chinese grammar, a zero pronoun (零代词 líng dàicí) refers to the omission of a pronoun when the context makes it clear what the pronoun would be. This is common in conversational Chinese and often occurs with personal pronouns like 我 (wǒ – I/me), 你 (nǐ – you), and 他/她/它 (tā – he/she/it).
Structure
Predictable Subject
你請坐你请坐
Please have a seat.
➡️ 請坐请坐
請問你要加糖嗎?请问你要加糖吗?
Would you like sugar with that?
➡️ 請問要加糖嗎?请问要加糖吗?
你去上課嗎?你去上课吗?
Are you going to class?
➡️ 去上課嗎?去上课吗?
我聽說台灣很熱我听说台湾很热
I heard that Taiwan is very hot.
➡️ 聽說台灣很熱听说台湾很热
Previously Mentioned Subject
我姓張,我叫美文我姓张,我叫美文
My last name is Zhang, and my first name is Meiwen.
➡️ 我姓張,叫美文我姓张,叫美文
他會說中文,他也會說日文他会说中文,他也会说日文
He can speak Chinese, and he can also speak Japanese.
➡️ 他會說中文,也會說日文他会说中文,也会说日文
我叫美文,我是台灣人我叫美文,我是台湾人
My name is Meiwen, and I am Taiwanese.
➡️ 我叫美文,是台灣人我叫美文,是台湾人
Previously Mentioned Object
你昨天給我的書,我還沒看那本書你昨天给我的书,我还没看那本书
The book you gave me yesterday, I haven’t read it yet.
➡️ 你昨天給我的書,我還沒看你昨天给我的书,我还没看
你的咖啡要熱的咖啡還是冷的咖啡?你的咖啡要热的咖啡还是冷的咖啡?
Do you want your coffee hot or cold?
➡️ 你的咖啡要熱的還是冷的?你的咖啡要热的还是冷的?
這本書是誰的書?这本书是谁的书?
Whose book is this?
➡️ 這本書是誰的?这本书是谁的?