Grammar Point:
The Chinese words 按时 ànshí and 尽快 jǐnkuài are employed to convey various aspects of time management. 按时 ànshí means “on time” in English, while 尽快 jǐnkuà translates to “as soon as possible” in English.
Structure
On Time – ànshí
It is an adverb used to indicate punctuality or performing tasks according to a scheduled or expected time.
請你務必按時完成這個項目请你务必按时完成这个项目
Please be sure to complete this project on time.
請在每個月的5日按時把房租給我请在每个月的5日按时把房租给我
Please pay the rent to me on the 5th of each month.
老闆從不按時開會老板从不按时开会
The boss never holds meetings on time.
員工應該按時上班,但不應該按時下班员工应该按时上班,但不应该按时下班
Employees should arrive on time, but they should not leave on time.
你為什麼不按時吃飯呢?活該胃痛你为什么不按时吃饭呢?活该胃痛
Why don’t you eat on time? You deserve to have a stomachache now.
FYI
Confucius believed that every living thing, whether animal or plant, follows its own growth cycle. Eating before it’s time is like going against the natural order. Also, eating food that’s not from where you are is seen as not being in tune with the times. Another part of being in tune with the times is eating meals at the right times. If you have your three meals a day on time, the food tastes better. But if you eat off schedule, like only having a late-night snack instead of dinner, skipping breakfast and only having lunch, or just having fruits and veggies for dinner, it’s considered not being in tune with the times. Eating this way not only affects the taste but can also cause stomach problems, making your appetite worse.
Notes: 按时 ànshí and 准时 zhǔnshí are both Chinese expressions related to time, but they have slight differences in usage. 按时 ànshí emphasizes adherence to the scheduled time and is used for actions or events that occur at the expected or planned time. On the other hand, 准时 zhǔnshí is used to describe people or things that are consistently punctual, arriving at the scheduled time.
ASAP (As Soon As Possible) – jǐnkuài
It’s also an adverb used when emphasizing urgency or the need for prompt action.
我會儘快回覆你的郵件我会尽快回覆你的邮件
I will reply to your email as soon as possible.
我們需要儘快安排會議時間我们需要尽快安排会议时间
We need to schedule a meeting time as soon as possible.
這件事情非常重要,請你儘快處理这件事情非常重要,请你尽快处理
This matter is very important, please handle it as soon as possible.
請你儘快把那份報告做完请你尽快把那份报告做完
Please finish that report as soon as you can.
你能儘快給我弄個炒飯嗎?我趕時間你能尽快给我弄个炒饭吗?我赶时间
Can you make fried rice for me as soon as possible? I’m in a hurry.
Notes: In Taiwan, it’s common to see people using 盡快 jìnkuài to mean 尽快 jǐnkuài, even though in classical Chinese, the two phrases don’t match perfectly in meaning. However, due to widespread and frequent use in modern times, the lines between these two expressions have become quite blurry.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I just want to leave here as soon as possible.
我只想儘快離開這裡我只想尽快离开这里
✔️ Take this medicine with three meals a day on time.
這個藥,一日三餐按時吃这个药,一日三餐按时吃
✔️ Your package will arrive on time in three days.
您的包裹會在3日後按時到達您的包裹会在3日后按时到达