Grammar Point:
In Chinese, 已 yǐ and 早已 zǎoyǐ both convey a sense of “already.” However, 早已 zǎoyǐ specifically emphasizes that something has been done or occurred a long time ago or well in advance.
Structure
已 yǐ
已 yǐ is a shorter form of 已經经 yǐjīng and is often used in formal or written language. It typically appears in more concise statements and is less common in spoken language.
他已婚了他已婚了
He is already married.
我的訊息被已讀了我的讯息被已读了
My message has been read.
FYI
The average response time for Taiwanese people is 3.3 hours, which is much shorter than the Western average. In general, under normal circumstances, if it takes more than 12 hours to receive a response, some Taiwanese people might consider it too long and wonder if you don’t want to talk to them. Not responding after reading a message or taking more than 24 hours to reply can even lead to frustration and become a cause for arguments. So, if you have Taiwanese friends or family, remember to reply at least once a day unless you don’t intend to continue the friendship.
我的心已死我的心已死
My heart is already dead.
雨季已過雨季已过
The rainy season is already over.
這問題已解決这问题已解决
This problem has already been resolved.
早已 zǎoyǐ
It specifically emphasizes that something has been done or occurred a long time ago or well in advance.
他早已死了10年了他早已死了10年了
He passed away a long time ago, 10 years ago.
我早已做完功課了我早已做完功课了
I have long since finished my homework.
爸爸早已知道這消息爸爸早已知道这消息
Dad has already known this news for quite some time.
老闆早已計畫好明年的旅行老板早已计画好明年的旅行
The boss has already planned next year’s trip well in advance.
我早已打定主意要去台灣我早已打定主意要去台湾
I have firmly decided to go to Taiwan a while ago.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ I’ve already told you long time ago.
我早已跟你說過了我早已跟你说过了
✔️ He knew this secret a long time ago.
他早已知道這個秘密他早已知道这个秘密
✔️ I don’t want to see you anymore.
我已不想再見你了我已不想再见你了