Grammar Point:
難难道 nándào is a grammatical expression used in Chinese to convey a sense of rhetorical questioning or disbelief within a statement. It is often translated as “could it be that” or “is it possible that” in English. It’s used when you’re kind of asking a question, but you already know or expect the answer. It’s like saying, “I can’t believe this could be true!” or “Is it really possible?”
What is rhetorical question?
A rhetorical question is a question that you don’t really want an answer to. You ask it to make a point or to get people thinking. It’s used in talking and writing to emphasize ideas or make arguments stronger.
Structure
難道/难道 + Rhetorical Question
This rhetorical question must be a yes-no question. In terms of grammar, 難难道 nándào is typically placed at the beginning of a sentence, followed by the statement or question.
這是美國沒有的水果,難道你不想吃吃看嗎?这是美国没有的水果,难道你不想吃吃看吗?
Is this a fruit that the United States doesn’t have? Don’t tell me you don’t want to give it a try?
難道你不知道今天有考試嗎?难道你不知道今天有考试吗?
Could it be that you didn’t know there’s a test today?
你們交往了15年,難道不打算結婚嗎?你们交往了15年,难道不打算结婚吗?
You’ve been in a relationship for 15 years, and you mean to say you’re not considering marriage?
難道我還不夠愛你嗎?难道我还不够爱你吗?
Could it be that I don’t love you enough?
難道你認為我會騙你嗎?难道你认为我会骗你吗?
Do you seriously think I would deceive you?
你怎麼把盤子直接放進洗碗機,難道你沒用過洗碗機嗎?你怎么把盘子直接放进洗碗机,难道你没用过洗碗机吗?
How did you just put the plate directly into the dishwasher? Are you telling me you’ve never used a dishwasher?
你一直抱怨朋友,抱怨同事。難道你沒想過有問題的是你嗎?你一直抱怨朋友,抱怨同事。难道你没想过有问题的是你吗?
You keep complaining about friends, griping about colleagues. Have you even thought for a second that maybe the one with the issue is you?
你每次都跟我借傘,難道你沒錢買傘嗎?你每次都跟我借伞,难道你没钱买伞吗?
You always come to borrow my umbrella. Could it be that you don’t have money to buy one?
It’s important to note that 難难道 nándào is often used in informal conversations and writing. It adds a rhetorical or emotional flavor to the sentence, which might not be considered very polite.
With it and without it
難道你不想吃吃看嗎?难道你不想吃吃看吗?
Don’t tell me you don’t want to give it a try?
你不想吃吃看嗎?你不想吃吃看吗?
Don’t you want to try it?
難道你認為我會騙你嗎?难道你认为我会骗你吗?
Do you seriously think I would deceive you?
你認為我會騙你嗎?你认为我会骗你吗?
Do you think I would deceive you?
難道你沒用過洗碗機嗎?难道你没用过洗碗机吗?
Are you telling me you’ve never used a dishwasher?
你沒用過洗碗機嗎?你没用过洗碗机吗?
Haven’t you used a dishwasher before?
Common Mistakes
還沒到你家嗎?難道我們還要走多久? ❌
Haven’t we arrived at your house yet? How much longer do we still have to walk?
還沒到你家嗎?難道我們還要繼續走? ✅
Haven’t we arrived at your house yet? Do we really have to keep going?
難难道 nándào must be followed by a yes-no question.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ Did he not tell you?
難道他沒告訴你嗎?难道他没告诉你吗?
✔️ Is there really no other way to resolve this matter?
難道沒有別的方法可以解決這件事嗎?难道没有别的方法可以解决这件事儿吗?
✔️ Even on typhoon days, do you still have to work in your country?
難道你們國家颱風天也要上班嗎?难道你们国家台风天也要上班吗?