Grammar Point:
The terms 以前 yǐqián (before) and 以后 yǐhòu (after) are Chinese expressions used to indicate time references. Here’s an explanation of their grammar and usage:
以前 yǐqián
- 以前 yǐqián means “before” or “in the past.”
- It is used to refer to a point in time or a period that occurred prior to the present moment or a specific reference point. And it is often followed by a time phrase or a specific event.
Time or Verb + 以前 (Before)
你明天8點以前必須到公司你明天8点以前必须到公司
You must arrive at the company before 8 o’clock tomorrow.
我知道我在做夢,但是我希望50歲以前能退休我知道我在做夢,但是我希望50岁以前能退休
I know I’m dreaming, but I hope to retire before the age of 50.
來台灣以前你學過中文嗎?来台湾以前你学过中文吗?
Did you learn Chinese before coming to Taiwan?
結婚以前,我做我自己结婚以前,我做我自己
Before getting married, I was being myself.
S + 以前 + V + O (In the past)
Subject can be placed either in front ot 以前 yǐqián or right after it.
我以前在韓國住過兩年我以前在韩国住过两年
I used to live in Korea for two years.
以前這裡的房子很便宜,但是現在超貴以前这里的房子很便宜,但是现在超贵
The houses here used to be cheap, but now they’re very expensive.
你以前的照片也太帥!你以前的照片也太帅!
Your old photos are soooo handsome!
他以前沒這樣過他以前没这样过
He has never been like this before.
以后 yǐhòu
- 以后 yǐhòu means “after” or “in the future.”
- It is used to refer to a point in time or a period that occurs after the present moment or a specific reference point. And it is often followed by a time phrase or a specific event.
Time or Verb + 以后 (After)
我星期五以後有空我星期五以后有空
I will be available after Friday.
很多人說1981年以後出生的孩子是草莓族很多人说1981年以后出生的孩子是草莓族
Many people say that children born after 1981 are the “strawberry generation.”
FYI
草莓族 cǎoméi zú is a slang term in Chinese that is often used to describe the younger generation, specifically those born after 1981. It is derived from the idea that strawberries are delicate fruits that bruise easily, implying that this generation is seen as fragile or easily affected by setbacks and challenges.
下課以後,你要不要跟我一起吃飯?下课以后,你要不要跟我一起吃饭?
After class, would you like to have a meal with me?
離婚以後,我找回自己离婚以后,我找回自己
After the divorce, I found myself again.
S + 以后 + V + O (In the future)
以後你想做什麼?以后你想做什么?
What do you want to do in the future?
我以後絕對不會再來這家黑店我以后绝对不会再来这家黑店
I will definitely not come to this shady store again in the future.
FYI
黑店 hēidiàn (black store) is a Chinese slang term that refers to an establishment, usually a restaurant or business, that operates in an unfair or deceptive manner. These businesses often take advantage of customers through practices such as overcharging, providing poor-quality products or services, or using misleading advertising. The term can be translated as ‘shady establishment’ or ‘blacklisted business.’
我以後一定會很想你我以后一定会很想你
I will definitely miss you a lot in the future.
以後的事誰也不知道以后的事谁也不知道
No one knows what will happen in the future.
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ It will rain after noon today, remember to bring an umbrella.
今天中午以後會下雨,你記得帶雨傘今天中午以后会下雨,你记得带雨伞
✔️ I have learned a little bit of Spanish before.
以前我學過一點西班牙文以前我学过一点儿西班牙文
✔️ Will you want to adopt a Taiwanese dog in the future?
你以後會想養一隻台灣狗嗎 你以后会想养一只台湾狗吗?

Feel free to check out this website to see how you can help doggies and kitties in Taiwan.