Grammar Point:
Tag questions in Chinese are commonly used to confirm information or seek agreement from the listener. The choice of particle or question word used in the tag question may vary depending on the context and the desired tone.
Structure
Statement + 可以 + 嗎/吗
This phrase is often used to seek permission or ask if something is allowed.
你的手機借我一下,可以嗎?你的手机借我一下,可以吗?
I would like to borrow your phone for a moment. Is it ok?
我先洗澡,可以嗎?我先洗澡,可以吗?
If I take a shower first. Is it ok?
我想取消明天的課,可以嗎?我想取消明天的课,可以吗?
I want to cancel tomorrow’s class. Is it ok?
This sentence can also be rephrased using the following structure without altering its meaning.
你的手機可以借我一下嗎?你的手机可以借我一下吗?
Can I borrow your phone for a moment?
我可以先洗澡嗎?我可以先洗澡吗?
Can I take a shower first?
Statement + 好 + 嗎/吗
好 hǎo means “good” or “fine,” and when used with 吗 ma, it forms a question seeking agreement or confirmation. It is the most friendly and casual one among these three.
我們明天八點出發,好嗎?我们明天八点出发,好吗?
Let’s depart at 8 o’clock tomorrow, ok?
你來的時候幫我買一杯咖啡,好嗎?你来的时候帮我买一杯咖啡,好吗?
Buy me a cup of coffee when you come. Is it ok?
下次看這個電影,好嗎?下次看这个电影,好吗?
Is it okay to watch this movie next time?
Statement + 行 + 嗎/吗
行 xíng literally means “to work” or “to be feasible,” and when combined with 吗 ma, it forms a question asking if something is acceptable or feasible.
你明天早點來,行嗎?你明天早点儿来,行吗?
Come earlier tomorrow, okay?
下班後給我打電話,行嗎?下班后给我打电话,行吗?
Call me after work, okay?
禮拜一前給我報告,行嗎?礼拜一前给我报告,行吗?
Give me the report before Monday, okay?
But, to be honest, Chinese speakers do not distinguish them very strictly because there is a lot of overlap when using them as tag questions. So, don’t worry too much about distinguishing them. And I promise you that the HSK exam will not test you on choosing the right answer between these three.