Grammar Point:
In Chinese, “how” can be translated as 怎么样 zěnme yàng or simply 怎么 zěnme, depending on the context. As for “how long,” it can be translated as 多久 duō jiǔ.
How – 怎麼/怎么 zěnme
Depending on the context,
zěnme can be translated as “how” or “what”. It is used to indicate the manner or method of doing something, or to ask about the way in which something is done. However, when zěnme is used in a negated question, it means “how come” or “why”.Subject + Zěnme + Verb (+ Object)?
Q:你的名字怎麼寫?你的名字怎么写?
A:How to write your name?
A:我的名字這樣寫我的名字这样写
A:My name is written like this.
Q:他怎麼沒來上班?他怎么没来上班?
A:How come he did not come to work?
A:他生病了他生病了
A:He’s sick.
你是怎麼學英文的?你是怎么学英文的?
How do you learn English?
FYI
Do you know about 填鸭式教育 tiányā shì jiàoyù (cramming education)? It’s a common learning method in Asia, so many of us can write foreign languages but struggle to speak them fluently. Cramming education refers to a teaching method where students are required to memorize and recite a large amount of information, with less emphasis on practical application and understanding. It’s like the fast food of learning, where you stuff your brain with facts without actually digesting them properly. So next time, if you fail to have a conversation with a Chinese person, try writing it down. It may work. 😏
她怎麼找到上海的工作?她怎么找到上海的工作?
How did she find a job in Shanghai?
你怎麼沒買咖啡給我!你怎么没买咖啡给我!
How come you didn’t buy coffee for me?
老師怎麼沒穿鞋子老师怎么没穿鞋子
Why isn’t the teacher wearing shoes?
How – 怎麼樣/怎么样 zěnme yàng
Statement + Zěnmeyàng?
Q:你的中文課怎麼樣?你的中文课怎么样?
A:How was your Chinese lesson?
A:我的中文課很好我的中文课很好
A:My Chinese lesson is great.
今天天氣怎麼樣?今天天气怎么样?
How’s the weather today?
你的感冒怎麼樣了?你的感冒怎么样了?
How’s your cold?
你覺得那邊那個男人怎麼樣?你觉得那边那个男人怎么样?
What do you think of that man over there?
昨天的電影看得怎麼樣?昨天的电影看得怎么样?
How was the movie yesterday?
How long – 多久 duōjiǔ
S + V + O + 多久
你打算要去北京多久?你打算要去北京多久?
How long do you plan to stay in Beijing?
你學了中文多久?你学了中文多久?
How long did you learn Chinese?
🔎 了1 (Verb-suffix了)
你學中文多久了?你学中文多久了?
How long have you been learning Chinese?
🔎 了2 (Sentence particle了)
你們認識多久了?你们认识多久了?
How long have you known each other?
你不舒服多久了?你不舒服多久了?
How long have you been feeling unwell?
你多久才會到!你多久才会到!
How long will it take for you to arrive?
How often – 多久 duōjiǔ
多久 duōjiǔ is typically used to ask about the long length of time. If you specifically want to inquire about a short duration, you can use the phrase 多常 duōcháng instead.
S + 多久 + V + O
你多久出國一次?你多久出国一次?
How often do you go abroad?
你多久打一次高爾夫?你多久打一次高尔夫?
How often do you play golf?
爸爸多久運動一次?爸爸多久运动一次?
How often does your dad exercise?
(The answer probably once a year.)
你多常喝咖啡?你多常喝咖啡?
How often do you drink coffee?
你多常運動?你多常运动?
How often do you exercise?
(The answer probably three times a week.)
Practice
TouchHover over the space to see the answers.
✔️ How long is the warranty?
保固期多久?保固期多久?
✔️ How do I get to the airport from here?
我要怎麼從這裡去機場?我要怎么从这里去机场?
✔️ What do you think of my Chinese?
你覺得我的中文怎麼樣?你觉得我的中文怎么样?