Grammar Point:
You can simply translate “由于 yóuyú” into “due to” in English. It is often used at the beginning of a sentence to introduce the cause or reason for something that has happened.
Structure
由於/由于 + cause,effect
Unlike the 因為为 yīnwèi, which indicates a direct cause-and-effect relationship between two things, the 由於于 yóuyú structure is usually used to express a more distant or indirect cause-and-effect relationship or formal situations.
由於環境污染,現在各國的氣候都面臨大問題由于环境污染,现在各国的气候都面临大问题
Due to environmental pollution, the climate of all countries is now facing a major problem.
由於少子化問題越來越嚴重,政府必須想辦法鼓勵年輕人結婚由于少子化问题越来越严重,政府必须想办法鼓励年轻人结婚
Due to the growing problem of childlessness, the government must find ways to encourage young people to get married.
由於你這一年表現良好,公司決定幫你調整薪水由于你这一年表现良好,公司决定帮你调动薪资
Due to your good performance this year, the company has decided to adjust your salary.
由於你沒有工作簽證,我們真的沒辦法錄取你由于你没有工作签证,我们真的没办法录取你
Since you don’t have a work visa, we really can’t accept you.
由於各種原因,大家都沒接受他的想法由于各种原因,大家都没接受他的想法
For various reasons, people did not accept his idea.
由於一胎化政策,造成了中國男女比例失去平衡由于一胎化政策,造成了中国男女比例失去平衡
Due to the one-child policy, the ratio of men to women in China has lost its balance.
FYI
Ah, the one-child policy in China sure had some interesting consequences! With the preference for male children, many families opted to selectively abort female fetuses, resulting in a gender imbalance. Thanks to the “boy band” situation caused by the one-child policy, finding a suitable marriage partner has become incredibly challenging for men in China. But this situation has actually benefited girls greatly. 😏
因為/因为 vs 由於/由于
因为 is generally more commonly used than 由于 and it is often used to express a direct cause-and-effect relationship between two things.
我遲到了,因為交通堵塞了我迟到了,因为交通堵塞了
I was late because of the traffic jam.
由于 is often used to express a more formal or objective cause-and-effect relationship between two things. It can also be used to express a reason that is more distant or indirect.
由於天氣不好,我們取消了野餐計劃由于天气不好,我们取消了野餐计划
We canceled the picnic plan due to bad weather.
In some cases, 由于 can also be used to indicate the source or origin of something.
這本書由於出版社的錯誤,印刷有誤这本书由于出版社的错误,印刷有误
This book has printing errors due to the publisher’s mistake.
- 因 yīnwèi……所以 suǒy…… (HSK 2)