Grammar Point:
In Chinese, 何必 hébì and 何苦 hékǔ are rhetorical expressions often used to question unnecessary actions or efforts. While both ask “why bother,” they focus on different aspects.
Structure
S + 何必 + Rhetorical Question
It is used to suggest that something is unnecessary or redundant. It often implies a rhetorical question, indicating that there’s no need for a certain action or behavior.
這麼簡單的事何必分兩次做?这么简单的事何必分两次做?
It’s so simple. Why do it in two steps?
何必生氣?這不過是個小事而已何必生气?这不过是个小事而已
Why get upset? It’s just a small thing.
何必這麼麻煩呢?何必这么麻烦呢?
Why go through so much trouble?
(Adding 呢 ne to the end of a sentence can help soften the tone, making it sound more casual or less abrupt.)
今天天氣又不冷,你何必穿那麼多衣服?今天天气又不冷,你何必穿那么多衣服?
The weather’s not even cold today. Why wear so many layers?
你已經知道結果了,何必再問呢?你已经知道结果了,何必再问呢?
You already know the result, so why ask again?
S + 何苦 + Rhetorical Question
It suggests unnecessary hardship or pain, often expressing sympathy, regret, or criticism for someone’s actions that caused trouble or discomfort.
東西沒了再買就好,何苦為了一個東西影響心情?东西没了再买就好,何苦为了一个东西影响心情?
If something’s gone, just buy it again. Why let it ruin your mood?
你們何苦為了這麼點小事吵架?你们何苦为了这么点小事吵架?
Why quarrel over such a small thing?
天這麼冷,何苦跑出去買東西呢?天这么冷,何苦跑出去买东西呢?
It’s so cold, why go out to buy things?
她都已經跟別人結婚了,你何苦還一直愛著她?她都已经跟别人结婚了,你何苦还一直爱着她?
She’s already married to someone else. Why are you still holding on?
他都不在乎了,你何苦這麼在意呢?他都不在乎了,你何苦这么在意呢?
He doesn’t care anymore. Why are you still stressing over it?
Differences
Pattern | 何苦 hékǔ | 何必 hébì |
---|---|---|
Focus | Questions the hardship or suffering. | Questions the necessity or purpose. |
Tone | More empathetic or critical of effort. | More neutral, logical, or rhetorical. |
Scenario | Reflecting on self-inflicted trouble. | Highlighting unnecessary or redundant actions. |
In Spoken Language
何必 hébì /何苦 hékǔ + N
When the context is clear to both the speaker and the listener, we often skip all the details and just keep the noun.
何必明年?你今天就可以跟她求婚了何必明年?你今天就可以跟她求婚了
Why wait until next year? You could propose to her today.
何必酒?跟對的人喝的話,就算是水也開心何必酒?跟对的人喝的话,就算是水也开心
Why drink alcohol? If you’re with the right person, even water would make you happy.
Statement + 何必 hébì /何苦 hékǔ + 呢 ne
You can also tag it onto the end of a statement. It’s like saying, “Why make it so complicated? Why go through all that hassle?”
為了慶祝生日花這麼多錢,何必呢?为了庆祝生日花这么多钱,何必呢?
Why spend so much money just to celebrate a birthday? Was it really necessary?
人死不能復生,你這樣不吃不喝,何苦呢?人死不能复生,你这样不吃不喝,何苦呢?
You can’t bring the dead back to life, so why torture yourself by not eating or drinking?
Idiom We Use
早知如此,何必當初早知如此,何必当初
If you knew it would come to this, why did you do it in the first place?