Email is the most common form of business communication, so it’s important to get it right. But writing an email in Chinese is not exactly like the way you write in English. Therefore, the following words and sentences may help you do it easier.
Title
Simply use “Highest Position” and add a brief greeting like “Hello.”
Family Name + Title + 您好 + ”:“
李先生您好:李先生您好:
Dear Mr. Lee, (don’t use comma in Chinese)
王教授您好:王教授您好:
Dear Professor Wang,
Name unknown recipient:尊敬的 + Title + 您好 + ”:“
尊敬的先生您好:尊敬的先生您好:
Dear Sir,
尊敬的女士您好:尊敬的女士您好:
Dear Madam,
Note:The phrase 尊敬的 zūnjìng de means “respectful” in English. So, if you want to show respect to someone, you can always add 尊敬的 zūnjìng de before their name. On the other hand, if you want to show friendliness, you can use 亲爱的 qīnài de.
尊敬的王教授您好:尊敬的王教授您好:
Dear Professor Wang,
親愛的李先生您好:亲爱的李先生您好:
Dear Mr. Lee,
Body
Opening
In Chinese emails, we don’t typically use phrases like “Sorry for my late reply” because timely responses are expected. Similarly, we don’t commonly say “Thanks for getting back to me so quickly” as it’s considered normal etiquette. Just kidding 🤪 These are simply not common openings we use. It’s better to get straight to the topic. As for expressing appreciation, we usually save it for the closing sentence.
我給您寫信是因為…我给您写信是因为…
I am writing to you regarding…
我是代表TT公司的張經理我是代表TT公司的张经理
I am the manager of TT company, Mr. Zhang.
我們仔細考慮了您的提案我们仔细考虑了您的提案
We carefully considered your proposal
我們對貴公司的…很感興趣我们对贵公司的…很感兴趣
We are interested in your company’s…
我們很抱歉地通知您…我们很抱歉地通知您…
We are sorry to inform you that…
透過Tiffany,我們得知您…透过Tiffany,我们得知您…
We know you are … through Tiffany.
Request
不知您是否介意…不知您是否介意…
Would you mind if…
如果您能…,我將會非常感激…如果您能…,我将会非常感激…
It would be grateful if you could…
能請您將…寄給我嗎?能请您将…发送给我吗?
Would you please send me…
如果方便的話,請…如果方便的话,请…
If possible, please…
Asking for clarifications
能請您告訴我更多關於…的細節嗎?能请您告诉我更多关于…的细节吗?
Could you give us some more details on…?
我不太清楚你說的…我不太清楚你说的…
I didn’t quite get your point about…
您的意思是要我們…您的意思是要我们…
If I understood you correctly, you would like us to…
Attachments and information
詳情請見附件详情请见附件
Please find details attached.
麻煩參閱附件麻烦参阅附件
Kindly refer to the attached document.
隨信已附上…随信已附上…
I’ve attached…
Getting approval
再麻煩告訴我對你是否可行再麻烦告诉我对你是否可行
Please let me know if this is OK with you.
不知您覺得如何?不知您觉得如何?
Please let me know what you think.
Scheduling
不知您…是否方便?不知您…是否方便?
Would you be available on…?
我…有空,不知您那時是否方便?我…有空,不知您那时是否方便?
I am available on…, if that’s convenient for you.
不好意思,我那天可能沒辦法,您看…怎麼樣?不好意思,我那天可能没办法,您看…怎么样?
I’m afraid I can’t make it on that day. How about…?
Closing
In Chinese emails, we don’t commonly use phrases like “Looking forward to hearing from you soon…” Instead, a more professional and commonly used phrase is “we will wait for your reply patiently.” Similarly, “I look forward to seeing/meeting you” is not commonly used as a closing. Here are some alternative sentences that can make your email sound more professional:
我們將靜候您的回覆我们将静候您的回覆
Looking forward to your reply. (patiently)
再次感謝您的幫忙再次感谢您的帮忙
Thanks again for your help.
很感激你所提供的幫助很感激你所提供的帮助
I really appreciate the support you’ve given to me.
希望您時間上是許可的希望您时间上是许可的
Hoping for a hole in your calendar.
如果你有任何問題,請隨時告知如果你有任何问题,请随时告知
Please let me know if you have any questions.
希望以上的資料對您有幫助希望以上的资料对您有帮助
I hope the above is useful to you.
若您需要更多資料,請隨時告知若您需要更多资料,请随时告知
Should you need any further information, please feel free to contact me.
The Last Part
The traditional Chinese way of giving blessings can be quite complex, even for native Chinese speakers. Therefore, in recent times, the younger generation tends to prefer using Western-style endings in their emails. This means using phrases like “best regards,” “all the best,” or “best wishes” in English. However, if you are sending an email to a conservative company, it is advisable to use Chinese for the closing phrase to maintain a more formal tone.
Student to professor
敬祝敬祝
教安教安
Company to company
順頌顺颂
商祺商祺
An example
In recent years, influenced by the West, it’s become more common for people to place their signatures directly on the left side of a letter, rather than on the right. Also, including the date is no longer necessary, unless you’re writing to someone very, very old.😅