Before we start, let’s have a small quiz. Do you know which one is incorrect?
A 我們喜歡互相我们喜欢互相
B 我喜歡彼此的個性我喜欢彼此的个性
C 你為對方做了什麼你为对方做了什么
对方 duìfāng – the other person, the other side
📌 Actually, 對方 duìfāng doesn’t mean “each other” at all in English, but since so many students confuse it with 彼此 bǐcǐ and 互相 hùxiāng, I decided to include it here for clarification.
对方 duìfāng is a noun that specifically refers to “the other party” or “the other side”, and it’s used when talking about someone other than the speaker.
我很喜歡對方的個性我很喜欢对方的个性
I like the other person’s personality.
他總是為對方著想他总是为对方着想
He always thinks of the other person.
我今天去約會了,對方穿得很正式我今天去约会了,对方穿得很正式
I went on a date today — the other person was dressed really formally.
你這樣說,對方會怎麼想你这样说,对方会怎么想
If you say it like that, what will the other person think?
對方一定誤會你的意思了对方一定误会你的意思了
The other person definitely got the wrong idea.
互相 hùxiāng – mutually, each other
互相 hùxiāng + V
It’s an adverb. It modifies actions that are mutual, emphasizing that both parties are doing something to or for each other.
他們互相幫助他们互相帮助
They help each other.
我們要互相尊重我们要互相尊重
We should respect one another.
我們互相幫對方很多忙我们互相帮对方很多忙
We’ve helped each other a lot.
結婚以後你們要互相照顧對方结婚以后你们要互相照顾对方
After getting married, you need to take care of each other.
我跟他真的是互相討厭,合不來我跟他真的是互相讨厌,合不来
We truly dislike each other and can’t get along.
我們互相喜歡狗我们互相喜欢狗 ❌
We both like dogs.
(This is not a situation where both parties are doing something to or for each other — it’s simply that we both like dogs. Unless you specifically mean we like each other’s dogs. 我們互相喜歡對方的狗我们互相喜欢对方的狗In that case, then yes, 互相 hùxiāng would be appropriate.)
彼此 bǐcǐ – each other, both sides
彼此 bǐcǐ can be used as a pronoun or an adverb, and it emphasizes reciprocity. It usually refers to both sides together. It highlights mutual feelings or actions shared by the people involved.
我們彼此信任我们彼此信任
We trust each other.
(adverb)
他們了解彼此他们了解彼此
They understand each other.
(pronoun)
彼此的需求都很重要彼此的需求都很重要
Both of our needs are important.
(pronoun)
這件事我們彼此都有錯这件事我们彼此都有错
We both made mistakes in this situation.
(adverb)
讓我們放過彼此吧!不要再見面了让我们放过彼此吧!不要再见面了
Let’s just let each other go. We shouldn’t see each other again.