Grammar Point:
Imperative Sentence – 叫 jiào can be used to give a command or instruction. It is similar to “have someone do…” or “tell someone to…” in English.
Structure
S + 叫 jiào + person + verb phrase
It’s used in spoken, everyday situations, often when someone tells or orders another person to do something.
媽媽叫我去睡覺妈妈叫我去睡觉
Mom told me to go to bed.
你叫他來一下你叫他来一下
Ask him to come over for a moment.
老師叫學生做功課老师叫学生做功课
The teacher told the students to do homework.
媽媽叫我把垃圾拿出去,但我假裝沒聽見妈妈叫我把垃圾拿出去,但我假装没听见
My mom told me to take out the trash, but I pretended not to hear.
她叫男朋友每天早上買咖啡給她她叫男朋友每天早上买咖啡给她
She makes her boyfriend buy her coffee every morning.
老闆叫我週末去上班,有病吧!老板叫我周末去上班,有病吧!
My boss told me to come to work on the weekend, is he crazy?!
我沒叫你騙他我没叫你骗他
I didn’t tell you to lie to him.
是不是他叫你這樣說的?是不是他叫你这样说的?
Did he tell you to say it like this?
📌 叫 jiào: more neutral or direct, can sound like an order
📌 請 qǐng: more polite and softer
You can always replace 叫 jiào with 請 qǐng when it expresses a polite requests or invitations, not authority or control.
我叫他來我叫他来
I told him to come.
我請他來我请他来
I asked him to come. (more polite)
Other functions of 叫 jiào
1. Call / shout (make a sound)
小孩在叫小孩在叫
The child is shouting/crying out.
不要叫那麼大聲不要叫那么大声
Don’t shout so loudly.
2. Name something (give a name)
我叫Tiffany我叫Tiffany
My name is Tiffany.
這個東西叫什麼?这个东西叫什么?
What is this called?
3. Order / get (food, service)
我叫了一杯咖啡我叫了一杯咖啡
I ordered a coffee.
叫外送叫外送
Order delivery.
叫車叫车
Call a taxi / ride.



1 thought on “Imperative Sentence – 叫 jiào”
Comments are closed.