能 néng – to be able to do
能 néng emphasizes one’s natural ability, as opposed to learned ability. It refers to the ability to do something without the need for training or education, and can also be used to describe changes in one’s ability over time. It is similar in meaning to “to be able to do something.”
我能說話我能说话
I can talk.
我能一次喝下10罐啤酒我能一次喝下10罐啤酒
I can drink 10 cans of beer at one time.
FYI
Did you know that Taiwanese people are known as the “worst drinkers” in the world? It’s not because we don’t like to have fun, but around half of us have a genetic condition that makes it difficult for our bodies to process alcohol properly. This means that we experience symptoms of alcohol intolerance such as facial flushing, rapid heartbeat, headaches, dizziness, nausea, and even hangovers more easily than others. So, if you’re looking to make friends with Taiwanese people, you might want to consider doing something other than drinking to bond with us.
他不能吃辣他不能吃辣
He can’t eat spicy food.
我不能說中文我不能说中文 (X)
I can’t speak Chinese.
(In this case, we don’t use 能 néng because the reason why you cannot speak Chinese is that you haven’t learned it, rather than any physiological problem that prevents you from speaking.)
能 néng – capability
When it is used with an object, the word 能 néng generally means ‘capability.’ It refers to the capacity or power to do something, accomplish a specific task, or perform a certain action.
我的手機能防水我的手机能防水
My phone is waterproof.
這件衣服不能水洗这件衣服不能水洗
This piece of clothing cannot be water-washed.
這個盒子能加熱嗎?这个盒子能加热吗?
Can this box be heated?
那杯子能裝500ml的水那杯子能装500ml的水
Can that cup hold 500ml of water?
工作能給我成就感工作能给我成就感
My job can give me a sense of accomplishment.
能 néng – possibility
能 néng can be used to express possibility:
你今天能來我家嗎?你今天能来我家吗?
Can you come to my place today?
(Is it possible for you to come to my place today?)
你能把鹽遞給我嗎?你能把盐递给我吗?
Can you pass the salt to me?
你能說慢一點嗎?你能说慢一点吗?
Can you say it a little slower?
你能閉嘴嗎?你能闭嘴吗?
Could you shut up?
我今天很忙,不能去你家我今天很忙,不能去你家
I am quite busy today, so I can’t go to your place.
(No possible)